Trading Fleet Underwriter
We’re a commercial motor insurer on a mission to save people time and money. From nationwide taxi fleets to self-employed scooter delivery riders, our customers are our driving force. We’re making insurance fairer and more human for every one of them.
When we started back in 2016, we knew that traditional insurance held businesses back. It was too complicated, too expensive and too time consuming. So we set out to change things, building insurance solutions that empower professional drivers throughout the UK and Europe.
So far, we’ve raised over $200 million in funding. We’ve grown from a scrappy start-up into an industry changing organisation, and there’s plenty more to come.
That’s where you come in…
Who we’re looking for
We’re on the lookout for a passionate, driven and determined Trading Fleet Underwriter to join our team. Here’s what you’ll be doing in this role:
- Accountable for underwriting decisions for all business quotes issued to our clients for motor fleet policies. This ranges from small / SME fleets of 10 vehicles to large fleets of 100+ vehicles; across trades, delivery (hire and reward), taxi fleets and more as we expand our product portfolio and underwriting footprint.
- Work closely with and support our Broker Management team, delivering the most revenue value from each of our broker partnerships; negotiating and quoting individual leads and building our book of fleet business in the UK.
- Partnering with our Pricing Team, ensuring we obtain and capture relevant data from brokers needed to price risks in our models; and bringing your expert eye and market insights to ensure our pricing is competitive across all segments of the market.
- Owning referrals to our capacity providers for any deviations on conditions and terms, suggesting terms with rationale to them and ultimately owning the process to win each fleet to the portfolio.
- Work closely with the Technical Underwriting team, feeding into and executing on our underwriting and appetite guides; ultimately ensuring we grow rapidly with slick, well-defined processes to serve brokers, whilst maintaining a good degree of underwriting rigor.
- 3+ years of experience in UK motor fleet underwriting; including experience in a broker-facing trading role
- Strong negotiation skills, with a record of growing a broker-distributed insurance book of fleet business
- Have a proven track record of underwriting renewals and new business quotes in line with GWP and LR targets, taking ownership of each case with the intention of securing conversion.
- You have an eye for detail and can see trade-offs between profitability and growth in your underwriting decisions everyday; with a strong drive to produce creative solutions to resolve these trade-offs and disrupt the insurance industry for good
- You have strong stakeholder management skills across a variety of levels of seniority, both internal and external. You are able to prioritize and manage work involving multiple stakeholders
- You are an excellent communicator and have demonstrable experience working with technical and non-technical colleagues including pricing, sales, product management and operations teams. You are comfortable acting as an insurance domain expert internally, and confident in articulating your underwriting decisions and rationale with external (re)insurers.
- You are self-starting, proactive and creative. Willing to work fast and make commercial considerations that come with working at a VC-backed start-up, with a strong desire to build something new that will scale at an exponential rate for years to come.
- Some analytical / numerical ability, and experience of working with pricing actuaries and analysts, is desirable.
What’s it like to work at Zego?
Joining Zego is a career-defining move. People go further here, reaching their full potential to achieve extraordinary things.
We’re spread throughout the UK and Europe, and united by our drive to get things done. We’re proud of our company and our culture – a friendly and inclusive space where we can lift each other up and celebrate our wins every day.
Together, we’re setting the bar higher, delivering exceptional work that makes a difference. Our people are the most important part of our story, and everyone here plays a role. There’s loads of room to learn and grow, and you’ll get the freedom to steer your career wherever you want.
You’ll work alongside a talented group who embrace each other's differences and aren’t afraid of a challenge. We recognise our achievements, learn from our mistakes, and help each other to be the best we can be. Together, we’re making insurance matter.
How we work
We believe that teams work better when they have time to collaborate and space to get things done. We call it Zego Hybrid.
It’s not “hybrid working” as you might know it – we don’t ask you to work from the office on set days. It’s a flexible approach that allows every Zegon to be their best.
Home can still be your primary place of work, with team days and events at our central London office when we need to get together. We cover the costs for all company-wide events (3 per year), and provide a separate hybrid contribution to help pay towards travel costs for our monthly socials and get-togethers.
We think it’s a good mix of collaborative face time and flexible home-working, setting us up to achieve the right balance between work and life.
We reward our people well. Join us and you’ll get a market-competitive salary, private medical insurance, company share options, generous holiday allowance, and a whole lot of wellbeing benefits. And that’s just for starters.
We’re an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.