We’re a commercial motor insurer on a mission to save people time and money. From nationwide taxi fleets to self-employed scooter delivery riders, our customers are our driving force. We’re making insurance fairer and more human for every one of them.
When we started back in 2016, we knew that traditional insurance held businesses back. It was too complicated, too expensive and too time consuming. So we set out to change things, building insurance solutions that empower professional drivers throughout the UK and Europe.
So far, we’ve raised over $200 million in funding. We’ve grown from a scrappy start-up into an industry changing organisation, and there’s plenty more to come.
That’s where you come in...
It’s an exciting time to join Zego and we are looking for an experienced and qualified accountant with insurance industry expertise to join our dynamic team as a Financial Controller. In this critical role, you will be responsible for managing all aspects of financial control, reporting, and compliance at Zego. As a key member of our finance team, you will play a pivotal role in shaping the company's financial operations and ensuring regulatory compliance across all of our locations.
What you will be doing
- Financial Control: Establish and maintain effective financial control systems and processes, ensuring accuracy, transparency, and compliance with accounting standards and regulations.
- Financial Reporting: Oversee the preparation of timely and accurate financial statements, including monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting. Review the results and provide insightful analysis of financial results to senior management and key stakeholders
- Budgeting and Forecasting: Working closely with FP&A to support accurate financial projections and variance analysis. Monitor key financial metrics and KPIs, and provide regular reports to the executive team.
- Compliance and Audit: Ensure compliance with relevant financial regulations in the UK and across our international locations, statutory requirements, and industry-specific guidelines. Liaise with external auditors and tax advisors and oversee the completion of audits and regulatory filings.
- Team Management: Manage and mentor a team of finance professionals, fostering a collaborative and high-performance culture. Set clear objectives, provide ongoing feedback, and support professional development opportunities.
- Process Improvement: Continuously evaluate and improve financial processes and controls, implementing best practices and automation to enhance efficiency and accuracy.
- Strategic Support: Collaborate closely with the finance leadership team to provide financial insights and recommendations to support business decisions and strategic initiatives.
- Stakeholder Management: Build strong relationships with internal stakeholders, including senior management, operational teams, and external partners such as auditors and tax advisors. Work closely with the B2B and B2C teams, providing finance and accounting support for all new initiatives, trouble-shooting issues and resolution of any ad-hoc queries
- Project Work: Support and manage key finance projects in line with our finance roadmap, managing the teams involved and ensuring milestones are met in a timely manner
What you will need to be successful
- Qualified Accountant: Hold a recognized professional accounting qualification (e.g., ACA, ACCA, CIMA, CPA) with a strong academic background.
- Insurance Industry Experience: Possess experience and knowledge within the insurance sector
- Financial Control Expertise: Demonstrated experience in financial control, reporting, and compliance, with a strong understanding of accounting principles, regulations, and best practices.
- Management Skills: Proven track record of successfully managing and developing teams, fostering a collaborative and results-oriented environment.
- Analytical and Strategic Thinking: Ability to analyse complex financial data, identify trends, and provide strategic insights and recommendations to drive business performance.
- Detail-Oriented: Meticulous attention to detail, with the ability to work accurately and efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent Communication: Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively present financial information to both financial and non-financial stakeholders.
- Adaptability and Drive: Thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and embrace change with a proactive and resilient attitude.
- Preferred but not essential - previous experience working at a VC backed high growth startup
What’s it like to work at Zego?
Joining Zego is a career-defining move. People go further here, reaching their full potential to achieve extraordinary things.
We’re spread throughout the UK and Europe, and united by our drive to get things done. We’re proud of our company and our culture – a friendly and inclusive space where we can lift each other up and celebrate our wins every day.
Together, we’re setting the bar higher, delivering exceptional work that makes a difference. Our people are the most important part of our story, and everyone here plays a role. There’s loads of room to learn and grow, and you’ll get the freedom to steer your career wherever you want.
You’ll work alongside a talented group who embrace each other's differences and aren’t afraid of a challenge. We recognise our achievements, learn from our mistakes, and help each other to be the best we can be. Together, we’re making insurance matter.
How we work
We believe that teams work better when they have time to collaborate and space to get things done. We call it Zego Hybrid.
It’s not “hybrid working” as you might know it – we don’t ask you to work from the office on set days. It’s a flexible approach that allows every Zegon to be their best.
Home can still be your primary place of work, with team days and events at our central London office when we need to get together. We cover the costs for all company-wide events (3 per year), and provide a separate hybrid contribution to help pay towards travel costs for our monthly socials and get-togethers.
We think it’s a good mix of collaborative face time and flexible home-working, setting us up to achieve the right balance between work and life.
We reward our people well. Join us and you’ll get a market-competitive salary, private medical insurance, company share options, generous holiday allowance, and a whole lot of wellbeing benefits. And that’s just for starters.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.