Warby Parker is looking for a Director of Construction to manage all construction functions for the company, including new and existing stores, optical labs, corporate offices, and more. In this position, you’ll lead a team of construction project managers, construction procurement specialists, external consultants, and vendor partners. Reporting to the Vice President of Real Estate & Development, you’ll also exercise discretion and independent judgment on a slew of significant happenings that affect the company’s success. Sound like your dream gig? Read on!
What you’ll do:
- Oversee the project management team responsible for all construction and renovation activities, ensuring stores and projects are built on time and on-budget
- Develop, manage, and maintain construction budgets, regularly reporting to the team on our current standings by month and by project
- Guarantee the on-time procurement of retail store fixtures, millwork, and other owner-supplied items and services to meet our store launch schedules
- Manage relationships with external construction project managers, business partners, and service providers
- Support the Real Estate team by providing early input on LOIs, LODs, and work letters as new locations are reviewed
- Support the Store Design team by offering collaborative guidance on space planning, storefront design and signage, and prototypical design elements
- Value engineer design elements, as necessary, and work scope of projects to meet targets
- Review architectural and MEP drawings for accuracy, while also reviewing construction-related lease language and exhibits
- Support miscellaneous construction tasks as needed
Who you are:
- Equipped with a bachelor’s degree in construction management or related field, or with the equivalent in relevant work experience
- Backed by 9+ years of experience leading retail construction, as well as 9+ years leading the budgeting of CapEx projects or managing other significant budgets
- Understanding of the general requirements for building retail spaces, plus the nuances associated with various retail environments including freestanding street locations, shopping malls, lifestyle centers, and mixed-use developments
- Well-versed in the procurement process
- A natural leader driven to motivate, develop, delegate, and make effective business decisions
- Highly digitally literate and comfortable working within web-based project management systems for scheduling, tracking, and budgeting
- Confident leading and developing a department and its team members, including remote employees and external business partners
- A clear, concise communicator with exceptional critical thinking skills
- Able to negotiate effectively with vendor partners on prices, SLAs, and performance
- Skilled at resolving issues independently, collaboratively, and with a sense of urgency
- Not on the Office of Inspector General’s List of Excluded Individuals/Entities (LEIE)
Some benefits of working at Warby Parker for full-time employees:
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Flexible vacation policy
- Paid Holidays
- Retirement savings plan with a company match
- Parental leave (non-birthing parents included)
- Short-term disability
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Bereavement Support
- Optical Education Reimbursement
- Free eyewear
- And more (just ask!)
Warby Parker requires all newly hired in-person or hybrid employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date. Warby Parker is an equal opportunity employer and will provide reasonable accommodation, as necessary with federal, state, or local law, to those individuals who are unable to be vaccinated.
Warby Parker, in good faith, believes that the posted salary range is accurate for this role in New York at the time of posting. Warby Parker may pay more or less than the posted range based on factors such as relevant experience and skills, qualifications and location, among others. This range may be modified in the future. In addition to base salary, this role is also eligible to receive a cash bonus and an equity bonus as part of the total compensation package. Details and eligibility will be discussed during the application process.
Warby Parker was founded with a mission: to inspire and impact the world with vision, purpose, and style.
We're constantly asking ourselves how we can do more and make a greater impact, and that starts by reimagining everything that a company and industry can be. We want to demonstrate that a business can scale while doing good in the world, without charging a premium for it. And we’ve learned that it takes creativity, empathy, and innovation to achieve that goal.
Since the day we launched in 2010, we’ve pioneered ideas, designed products, and developed technologies that help people see. We offer everything you need for happier eyes at a price that leaves you with money in your pocket, from designer-quality glasses and contacts to eye exams and vision tests, and you can meet us online, at our stores, or even in your home. Wherever and whenever you need it, we’re there to make exceptional vision care simple and accessible. (Delightful, too.)
Ultimately, we believe in vision for all, which is why for every pair of glasses or sunglasses we sell, a pair of glasses is distributed to someone in need through our Buy a Pair, Give a Pair program.