Principal Software Engineer, Full-Stack - Application Engineering
Are you looking to accelerate your career growth by joining an early-stage company going after a massive market opportunity?
Visor is a fast-growing company simplifying how people work together. Our vision is to become everyone’s favorite place to collaborate on data from anywhere. Visor’s product looks like a spreadsheet so everyone knows how to use it. But it’s the world’s most deeply connected spreadsheet, making entirely new solutions possible.
The company was founded at Harvard. We’re backed by the same investors as Airbnb, Shopify, Zapier, Hubspot, and Warby Parker. We have thousands of users worldwide.
We have raised funding (both announced and unannounced) and have plenty of runway. We don't have plans to fundraise for 2+ years.
We are looking for an experienced software engineer who loves building products. You will become the primary owner of our product engineering. As part of the founding team, you will work alongside the CEO and collaborate daily with the product and design teams. You will be asked to think and act like a founder, and you will be treated as an owner.
Within the first month, you’ll start shipping production-quality code. By month three, we’d like you to start pointing out threats/opportunities for our technical systems. By month six, you’ll be partnering with the CEO on architectural decisions. And by month nine, you’ll take the primary lead on architectural decisions.
Given the complexity of building a spreadsheet that works flawlessly with live-syncing external data, we have to keep the foundation rock solid. You will be a foundational part of our long-term strategizing and expected to plan our architecture three chess moves ahead of where we are today.
Who you are:
- You have a Bachelors in Computer Science (preferred) or other relevant credentials that demonstrate deep understanding of data structures, algorithms, and programming patterns
- You’re an seasoned engineer who has 5+ years of experience building front end web applications, ideally some of that experience using VueJs (or other front-end web frameworks)
- A self-motivated learner who loves improving your skills and knowledge
- A collaborative engineer who prioritizes the total output of the whole team over personal achievement
- You’re willing to recommend improvements to the company’s existing practices but open to accept and embrace the architectural decisions and technologies already used
- You’re deeply interested in product quality, performance, and reliability (not just building new things)
- You’re comfortable speaking your mind and sharing your opinions
- Detail-oriented. To prove it, please include a sentence in your cover letter referencing this line and include this word: meticulous.
What you’ll be doing:
- Gradually assume some engineering leadership responsibilities, including priority-setting, leading our process, and making major architecture and technology decisions
- Collaborate with our back-end engineer to design robust, scalable APIs, systems, and architecture
- Identify and resolve QA issues across the product
- Own and advocate for the health and quality of the systems the team builds
- Document your work and our architecture for improved collaboration
- Join customer feedback calls to develop and share opinions about our roadmap and technical requirements
- Collaborate with our design leader to establish and maintain a global design system with standard UI components that improve speed and quality of execution
- Periodically create content about our engineering to keep our customers informed and help us document our engineering culture
We believe in providing transparency into our pay plans to help eliminate the salary gap. The following describes our expected compensation range for this position. In these annual figures, we include the value of the employee’s regular salary and discretionary bonuses. We do not include other parts of the company’s compensation package, including: equity & options, benefits such as healthcare, unlimited PTO, and budgets for travel & equipment.
Please note that we may be able to extend offers outside of this range in order to match a wider range of candidate experiences and skills. If you are more experienced and have salary expectations higher than this range, please reach out to see if we should continue the conversation.
Primary budgeted range: $150k - $200k
Band 1 - $151k - $175k: This is our main target band for this position. This band is for candidates who are well-established in their career, are very autonomous, have high-cognitive capabilities, and demonstrate deep expertise in engineering.
Band 2 - $176k - $200k: Candidates will be considered for the upper end of our compensation plan if they meet some of the following additional criteria:
(A) have substantially more experience than required in the designated area,
(B) have a wider range of experience across other complementary roles,
(C) demonstrated capacity for leadership beyond the expectations of this particular role,
Please note that discretionary bonuses are subject to the terms and conditions of any bonus plan in effect at that time. The amount of such bonus, if any, will be determined at the sole discretion of the company and in no event will employees be eligible for, and employees will not earn or receive, any bonus if you are not employed on the date such bonuses are paid to company employees. You should note that the company may modify salaries and benefits from time to time as it deems necessary. The company reserves the right to amend or withdraw the discretionary bonus, at its absolute discretion.
What we offer:
- Competitive salary with transparency into compensation
- Generous equity
- Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Unlimited vacation days (with mandatory two weeks)
- Generous budget for purchasing equipment to work from home (Approximately $5,000, including well-spec'ed laptop, Dell Ultrasharp monitor(s), professional microphone & webcam, and accessories)
- Semi-flexible work hours
- Opportunity to work from home (and office, when safety allows)
- Be a charter member of the founding team of a venture-backed company
We are passionate product builders who believe that today’s problems require a fresh perspective. We love our users and are deeply inspired by them. Our team culture values entrepreneurship, positivity, integrity, and continuous learning. We deeply care for one another and believe that the strength of the individual powers the strength of the group. We also believe in paying attention to the small details. To demonstrate that you do, too, please include the word "meticulous" inside your application (in the part asking about your specific experience in the past).
Our company mission is to improve the way the world works. That means we want to improve how our customers do their work, and we also want to have a positive impact on the broader community. We are committed to leaving the world a better place than we found it. We seek to build a team that wants to give back to our communities.
Location & travel:
This is a New York City-based remote position, offering the flexibility to work from home while still being connected to an incredible team. Additionally, we also have a co-working space located in NYC for those who prefer in-person collaboration. We will give preference to those candidates who are within 100 miles of New York City; however, if you are not in the New York area we ask that candidates operate within the Eastern Time (ET) zone to ensure optimal collaboration with team members. Our typical working hours are 9am to 6pm ET. Please note that we are only able to consider candidates located within the US.
In addition to enjoying the benefits of remote work, we are committed to fostering camaraderie and connection among our team members through occasional social events and company retreats. You should plan to travel once every 3 months for our offsite retreats that last between 3-5 days. Our retreats are usually within driving distance of NYC. Past retreat locations have included East Hampton, the Poconos, and skiing upstate.
Equal employment opportunity:
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend only to apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes but don't necessarily meet every point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.
At Visor, we believe in and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
At this time, we are only able to hire individuals who can work lawfully in the United States and will work from within the country. We are not able to sponsor new H-1B cases at this time, transfer visas for those who currently hold a visa with another employer, or hire candidates without legal authorization to work in the United States. We are also not able to consider candidates who do not plan to have their place of work within the United States.