ML/AI Research Associate, Computational Biology
Software Engineering, Data Science
United States · Canada
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2024
Who We Are
Vial is a global tech-driven CRO providing next-generation clinical trial management services. The Vial CRO powers its drug discovery arm, Battery Bio, an AI-powered hyper scalable biotech. Battery Bio harnesses Vial's unique 90% lower cost structure to produce more affordable drug development with efficient, streamlined clinical trials.
Our mission is to reimagine the drug discovery process to empower scientists to cure all human disease. We have assembled a talented team of clinical operators, chemists, and innovative thinkers to achieve this vision.
Vial is a San Francisco, California-based company founded by Simon Burns in October 2020. Since our founding, we have become a fast-growing company of 100+ employees with over $100 million in funding from esteemed investors including General Catalyst, Box Group, and Byers Capital.
Vial is rebuilding the infrastructure to advance research. By deploying technology at every step, we are creating a more efficient future for drug discovery.
We are seeking a highly motivated Computational Biologist to join our Battery Bio team. This role will provide exposure to multiple phases of drug discovery and development, with a mission to leverage information-rich datasets to validate targets, elucidate mechanism of action, and inform patient selection strategy. The successful candidate will interface closely with colleagues across the company, and be a key contributor on a diverse, multidisciplinary team.
- Work in a structure-based computationally driven drug discovery paradigm
- Develop and evolve computational approaches across modalities (Antibody, ADC, siRNA, etc)
- Work with DepMap and other large-omics datasets to identify and evaluate novel therapeutic targets
- Iteratively scale, rethink, and collaborate on a drug discovery engine that will scale to hundreds of programs
- Analyze data from high-throughput molecular assays including RNAseq, scRNAseq and CRISPR screens
- Design, implement and evaluate cutting-edge generative models for protein design
- Provide interpretation and analysis of results and present findings in cross-functional project team meetings.
- Work with other scientists, clinicians, computational biologists, project managers, and external partners to accomplish our mission of curing diseases
- MS/PhD in Computational Biology, Antibody Engineering, Machine Learning, Bioinformatics, Statistics, or other quantitative field with 3-5 years of experience.
- Strong coding skills, fluency in using R or Python for complex data analysis.
- Experience in analysis of RNAseq, WES and WGS data.
- Strong understanding of relevant concepts in cancer biology and molecular biology.
- Understanding of current best-practices for high-throughput genomics/molecular data analyses and their underlying statistical principles.
- Experience in network/pathway mapping and integration of orthogonal omics datasets
- Experience with R-Shiny/data visualization is a plus.
- Entrepreneurial mindset, experience in startup environment preferred a plus
- Deeply analytical, systems thinker, focused on finding scalable solutions
- NGS analysis experience
- Experience with large-scale multi-node training on an HPC GPU cluster
- Hands-on experience developing deep generative models for language modeling or geometric applications
Why You’ll Love Working At Vial
Innate curiosity. At our core, we embody an insatiable curiosity. Our journey into the realm of clinical trials was ignited by a firsthand understanding of the challenges involved. This innate curiosity drives us to constantly innovate, seek fresh ideas, and bring our vision of reimagining clinical trials to life.
Fostering autonomy. Autonomy is our guiding principle. We firmly believe that when team members are entrusted with autonomy, they unleash their true potential. Our culture fosters an environment where each individual takes ownership of their domain, empowering them to make a profound impact.
The pursuit of mastery. We are dedicated to cultivating mastery. We understand the value of honing expertise in a craft. The pursuit of mastery, coupled with a deep sense of pride in one's workmanship, fuels our unwavering commitment to tackle intricate challenges. At Vial, we foster a culture of highly autonomous professionals, each an expert in their field, collaborating on an immensely demanding endeavor together.
Move fast, stay humble. Our strength lies in agility and humility. We firmly believe that intellectual honesty and a nimble mindset are the pillars of success. By staying adaptable and open-minded to all solutions, we tackle obstacles head-on, remaining humble in the face of adversity. This enables us to surmount the hurdles that confront us at every twist and turn.
Benefits (Not applicable to Contract or Temp Positions)
Competitive Equity Compensation
Health, Dental, and Vision Benefits
401k or RRSP Plan with Company Matching after first 90 days of employment
One time, Remote Office Setup Stipend
Robust Paid Parental Leave
Remote-First, Flexible Work Schedule