Accounting & Finance
Canada · United States
Posted on Thursday, November 2, 2023
Who We Are
Vial is a global tech-driven CRO providing next-generation clinical trial management services. The Vial CRO powers its drug discovery arm, Battery Bio, an AI-powered hyper scalable biotech. Battery Bio harnesses Vial's unique 90% lower cost structure to produce more affordable drug development with efficient, streamlined clinical trials.
Our mission is to reimagine the drug discovery process to empower scientists to cure all human disease. We have assembled a talented team of clinical operators, chemists, and innovative thinkers to achieve this vision.
Vial is a San Francisco, California-based company founded by Simon Burns in October 2020. Since our founding, we have become a fast-growing company of 100+ employees with over $100 million in funding from esteemed investors including General Catalyst, Box Group, and Byers Capital.
Vial is rebuilding the infrastructure to advance research. By deploying technology at every step, we are creating a more efficient future for drug discovery.
We are looking for an experienced Financial Controller to undertake all aspects of financial management, including corporate accounting, regulatory and financial reporting as well as development of internal control policies and procedures. Finance Controller responsibilities will also include financial risk management.
- Manage all accounting operations including Billing, A/R, A/P, GL, Cost Accounting and Revenue Recognition
- Establish (in coordination with CFO) financial and operating benchmarks, budgets, program monitoring, and reporting standards on monthly, and annual basis
- Prepare and publish timely monthly financial statements
- Coordinate the preparation of regulatory reporting
- Support month-end and year-end close process
- Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting
- Manage and comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
- Support leadership through the IPO process, preparing relevant documents and supporting audits
- Evaluating the effectiveness of accounting and other software. Identifying opportunities to improve processes and reporting through automation
- Hiring, training and retaining skilled accounting staff
- Additional controller duties as necessary
Requirements and skills
- Proven working experience as a Financial Controller, preferably in a pre-IPO start-up
- 5+ years of overall combined accounting and finance experience
- Professional certification, such as CPA or CA
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles (US GAAP) and procedures
- Experience with creating financial statements
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year end close process
- Excellent accounting software user and administration skills
Why You’ll Love Working At Vial
Innate curiosity. At our core, we embody an insatiable curiosity. Our journey into the realm of clinical trials was ignited by a firsthand understanding of the challenges involved. This innate curiosity drives us to constantly innovate, seek fresh ideas, and bring our vision of reimagining clinical trials to life.
Fostering autonomy. Autonomy is our guiding principle. We firmly believe that when team members are entrusted with autonomy, they unleash their true potential. Our culture fosters an environment where each individual takes ownership of their domain, empowering them to make a profound impact.
The pursuit of mastery. We are dedicated to cultivating mastery. We understand the value of honing expertise in a craft. The pursuit of mastery, coupled with a deep sense of pride in one's workmanship, fuels our unwavering commitment to tackle intricate challenges. At Vial, we foster a culture of highly autonomous professionals, each an expert in their field, collaborating on an immensely demanding endeavor together.
Move fast, stay humble. Our strength lies in agility and humility. We firmly believe that intellectual honesty and a nimble mindset are the pillars of success. By staying adaptable and open-minded to all solutions, we tackle obstacles head-on, remaining humble in the face of adversity. This enables us to surmount the hurdles that confront us at every twist and turn.
Competitive Equity Compensation
Health, Dental, and Vision
Paid Parental Leave