Research Associate / Lab Manager
Variant Bio is a Seattle-based biotechnology company leveraging the power of human genetic diversity to develop life-saving therapies. To achieve this goal, we are studying the genes of people who are outliers for medically relevant traits, then translating insights from this research into the discovery and development of new therapeutics.
Variant Bio closed a $105mm Series B financing to support the rapid advancement of the company’s research and development work. Our investors include Lux Capital, Alta Partners, General Catalyst, SoftBank Vision Fund, Cercano Management and Casdin Capital, among others. Our growing team of geneticists, medical researchers, biologists, and drug hunters is working to advance multiple projects through target validation, lead optimization, and other discovery and development efforts in relentless pursuit of bringing life-saving therapies to patients.
Ethics is at the foundation of everything we do at Variant Bio. Our genomic research studies are co-designed with local partners around the world with input from communities. In addition, we are committed to sharing tangible benefits with research partners and communities through our unique Benefit-sharing Program and Affordable Medicines Pledge.
Variant Bio is an equal opportunity employer that guarantees a work environment that respects and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We are seeking a Research Associate / Lab Manager to join our Research & Development Team. It is anticipated that 50% of this role will be spent performing Lab Management responsibilities, 30% will be spent at the bench including cell culture experiments and 20% will be assisting the R&D team with ongoing administrative needs. Key aspects of the Lab Management responsibilities will include ensuring smooth day-to-day operations in the lab, equipment monitoring and maintenance, purchasing and maintaining lab supplies, and EH&S compliance. The responsibilities fulfilled by the Research Associate component will require mammalian tissue culture experience with a molecular biology background. The ideal candidate will have 5+ years of laboratory experience, be highly collaborative and exceptionally organized. Previous experience working in the biotech industry is required.
50% Lab Management:
- Manage inventory and procurement of biological and chemistry lab materials and supplies while tracking against approved budget in coordination with the Finance team.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations and maintenance of the research labs including but not limited to managing vendor deliveries and services, biohazard waste removal, cleaning of equipment as needed and overall lab organization and cleanliness.
- Serve as the primary contact for vendors and service providers.
- Respond to temperature sensitive alarms during and outside of regular working hours.
- Coordinate the shipment (incoming and outgoing) of sensitive biological and chemical materials.
- Understand lab processes and requirements while identifying opportunities for increased operational efficiencies.
- Oversee and maintain lab safety policies and EH&S requirements.
- Coordinate regular equipment maintenance and ensure any required repairs are addressed and resolved in a timely manner.
- Assist in training new employees on lab safety.
30% Research Associate:
- Maintain sterile cell culture in a BSL2 laboratory space.
- Execute molecular biology experiments (PCR, qPCR, immunoblotting).
- Perform 96- and 384-well plate immunoassays.
- Additional laboratory duties as needed.
20% Research Administration:
- Coordinate the execution of service contracts, purchase orders and invoice processing.
- Communicate with key stakeholders on any program delays or critical updates.
- B.S./B.A. Degree in a life science preferred.
- 5+ years relevant lab management experience in the biotech industry.
- 2+ years of tissue culture experience with molecular biology background.
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail inside and outside the lab.
- Ability to work independently within a highly collaborative environment.
- Experience with EH&S compliance.
- Experience purchasing lab equipment and supplies while managing budgets.
- Experience maintaining clean spaces and sterile equipment.
- Exceptional work ethic, organizational skills and willingness to assist with a variety of tasks.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Compensation & Perks
- Opportunity to be part of an early-stage startup in a rapid growth phase.
- Competitive salary and equity package.
- Comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability, and life insurance.
- 401(k) plan through Fidelity that includes up to 3% employer match and flexible investment options.
- Flexible paid time off.
- Choice of public transportation (Orca Card) provided by the company or subsidized parking.
- Central Eastlake location in a brand new Alexandria building with modern facilities.
Anticipated annual base salary for this position is $90,000 - $110,000 plus up to 10% bonus and an options package, for total compensation of up to $99,000 - $121,000, plus equity options.
The annual salary range above is based on the responsibilities and qualifications listed above. Individual salary will depend on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Don't meet every single requirement but are excited to join the Variant Bio team? If your past experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may still be the right candidate for this or other roles.