Lead Software Engineer - New Products
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2024
Vannevar Labs builds next generation defense software for the public servants keeping our country safe. As a team, we exist because we believe in public service, and we think that our democracy and government improve only if we put serious, collective effort into improving them, including the technology our government uses.
This mission has become urgent. Ukraine is engaged in a war for survival with Russia. China regularly flies nuclear-capable bombers into Taiwan and Japan’s airspace. The US and our allies are fighting a war of deterrence with woefully outdated technology. We build software to support these missions, including providing battlefield information to allies, identifying malign activity, and helping the US deter and deescalate conflict.
We are a profitable growth startup with some of the best defense investors in the world, including General Catalyst, DFJ Growth, Point72, and enterprise tech investors Costanoa and Felicis.
About the role
Our Mission teams operate like small startups within the Vannevar umbrella. As the lead software engineer, you will be the field "CTO" for that Mission team and customer relationship. You will work on a cross-functional team directly supporting members of our national security. You’ll own the architecture, development, and deployment of software solutions that support specific customer missions.
Your job includes everything from meeting with customers who serve on the front lines of strategic competition to scoping and implementing software. You will work closely with other engineers, product designers, and former military officers to deliver game changing capabilities into the hands of those who serve our nation.
What you'll do
- Engineer and own the software solutions that are deployed to customers
- Build software that helps users unlock value within our data holdings: large scale text, multimedia, and geospatial datasets spanning over 46 different languages
- Write code to improve products and scale our capabilities to more customers and use cases
- Collaborate across interdisciplinary teams to plan, build, and deliver complex software features
- Travel up to 20% of time to meet with mission owners and deliver capabilities
Qualifications (Must Haves)
- 4+ years as a Full Stack Developer or similar role
- Experience building and owning features end-to-end
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Must be able to obtain and hold a U.S. security clearance
Qualifications (Nice to Haves)
- Experience with OpenSearch or ElasticSearch
- Experience with AWS or similar
- Experience with data science, machine learning, and/or data visualization
- Experience with web frameworks and platforms such as React, Node, Redux, Apollo, or similar
- Active U.S. Security Clearance
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- 100% remote - work from anywhere in the US
- 401k matching
- Mental benefits
- Flexible work environment - you manage your workday
- Pet and child care reimbursement during travel
- Unlimited PTO
The salary range for this position is $135,000-$205,000 + equity + 401K match. Within the range, individual pay is determined by experience, relevant education, and/or training.
Vannevar Labs is an equal opportunity employer, and qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply, even if you don't feel like you're a perfect fit. If you're passionate about contributing to our mission, we'd love to hear from you!