Head of Design, Deployed Engineering
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2024
Vannevar Labs builds next generation defense software for the public servants keeping our country safe. As a team, we exist because we believe in public service, and we think that our democracy and government improve only if we put serious, collective effort into improving them, including the technology our government uses.
This mission has become urgent. Ukraine is engaged in a war for survival with Russia. China regularly flies nuclear-capable bombers into Taiwan and Japan’s airspace. The US and our allies are fighting a war of deterrence with woefully outdated technology. We build software to support these missions, including providing battlefield information to allies, identifying malign activity, and helping the US deter and deescalate conflict.
We are a profitable growth startup with some of the best defense investors in the world, including General Catalyst, DFJ Growth, Point72, and enterprise tech investors Costanoa and Felicis.
About the role
You will be our first Head-level design teammate. You will own the design vision and execution for all products in our Deployed Engineering division, which spans our new product bets. You will help define what Design means at Vannevar – you’ll drive a cohesive product suite vision for the company, build things that matter for the mission, partner with and integrate engineering into the development process, and develop a world class design team. This role reports to the Head of Deployed Engineering and will work closely with engineering leadership.
What you'll do
- Understand the needs of our customers, and translate the complexity of the missions we support into beautiful, functional software
- Lead design development for all our new products that are in the 0 to 1 phase
- Develop a cohesive design vision and language that can be shared across the entire product portfolio (from new to mature products)
- Foster a culture of great UX across our product suite
- Build and grow a small team of world class designers
- You have proven experience and success in software design, particularly in a B2B or B2G environment
- You have experience rolling out design practices and processes where they didn't exist before
- You hire and develop great designers, and can dynamically adjust your team as team needs change
- You have a track record of partnering deeply with engineering, product, and BD
- You must be able to obtain and hold a U.S. security clearance at the TS/SCI level
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- 100% remote - work from anywhere in the US
- 401k matching
- Mental benefits
- Flexible work environment - you manage your workday
- Pet and child care reimbursement during travel
- Unlimited PTO
The salary range for this position is $175,000 - $215,000 + equity + 401K match. Within the range, individual pay is determined by experience, relevant education, and/or training.
Vannevar Labs is an equal opportunity employer, and qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply, even if you don't feel like you're a perfect fit. If you're passionate about contributing to our mission, we'd love to hear from you!