Lead Software Engineer, Platform Security
Posted on Thursday, November 9, 2023
Vannevar Labs builds next generation defense software for the public servants keeping our country safe. As a team, we exist because we believe in public service, and we think that our democracy and government improve only if we put serious, collective effort into improving them, including the technology our government uses.
This mission has become urgent. Ukraine is engaged in a war for survival with Russia. China regularly flies nuclear-capable bombers into Taiwan and Japan’s airspace. The US and our allies are fighting a war of deterrence with woefully outdated technology.
We build software to support these missions, including providing battlefield information to allies, identifying malign activity, and helping the US deter and deescalate conflict.
We are a profitable growth startup with some of the best defense investors in the world, including General Catalyst, DFJ Growth, Point72, and enterprise tech investors Costanoa and Felicis.
Engineering – Platform Security
We are expanding from one product (Decrypt) to an ecosystem of products. The Platform team is responsible for the shared services & infrastructure that powerthis ecosystem. The next big project on our roadmap is building a shared authorization layer. We're looking for a software engineer to drive the technical vision and help us build this.
As an early member of the team, you’ll have an outsized impact on the Platform’s evolution in support of our developers, forward deployed engineers, and end users. The decisions you make will have a direct impact on the company today and into the future. You know how to balance delivering immediate impact for consumers with designing for future expansions and capabilities.
What You'll Do
- Design and build an authorization system that is flexible enough for multiple applications, and supports granular permissions on our data assets
- Drive the technical vision for our existing authentication solution, particularly as we move to deploy our software on multiple production environments
- Partner with other engineers to identify and quickly deliver customer value
- Stay up to date with emerging technologies, trends, and best practices, particularly within the authn/authz domain
- Proven experience in software development – you have worked on business-critical systems that are deployed in production environments
- You’ve successfully led the design or architecture of new and existing system(s), ideally within the authn/authz domain
- A proven ability to work across teams to coordinate and solve engineering problems
- Strong leadership, teamwork, and communication skills
- U.S. Person status is required as this position will require the ability to access U.S.-only data systems
The Salary Range for this position is $175,000 - $215,000 + equity + 401K match. Within the range, individual pay is determined by experience, relevant education, and/or training.
What We Offer:
Health, dental, and vision insurance
Flexible work environment - you manage your workday
100% remote - work from anywhere in the US
Mental health benefits
Pet care reimbursement during travel
Vannevar Labs is an equal opportunity employer, and qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply, even if you don't feel like you're a perfect fit. If you're passionate about contributing to our mission, we'd love to hear from you!