Head of Talent Acquisition
People & HR
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2023
Vannevar Labs builds next generation defense software for the public servants keeping our country safe. As a team, we exist because we believe in public service, and we think that our democracy and government improve only if we put serious, collective effort into improving them, including the technology our government uses.
This mission has become urgent. Ukraine is engaged in a war for survival with Russia. China regularly flies nuclear-capable bombers into Taiwan and Japan’s airspace. The US and our allies are fighting a war of deterrence with woefully outdated technology.
We build software to support these missions, including providing battlefield information to allies, identifying malign activity, and helping the US deter and deescalate conflict.
We are a profitable growth startup with some of the best defense investors in the world, including General Catalyst, DFJ Growth, Point72, and enterprise tech investors Costanoa and Felicis.
The Head of Talent Acquisition will lead all of the recruiting efforts for the company. Over the last 18 months, we’ve experienced significant growth; >10xing revenue and ~3xing our customer base. We raised >$90M of venture capital and became profitable. We expect that growth to continue, and the Head of Talent Acquisition job is critical on that journey.
You will build and scale the company with us, including more than doubling the size of the engineering and mission teams and ensuring we have the appropriate recruiting and onboarding systems in place to sustain our growth and maintain our culture and values. The ideal candidate for the position has built and managed a talent team at a tech company before.
What You'll Do
- Get in the weeds on all things recruiting - collaborate with hiring managers to understand job requirements, develop and implement a talent acquisition strategy for each role, troubleshoot difficult roles, and implement creative solutions to attract, evaluate, and hire top talent across the business
- Grow a small team of world class recruiters
- Build a high-performing internal executive recruiting function to identify talent through referrals and other means, build long term relationships, and bring in senior talent on our defense technology BD and engineering teams
- Design the operational infrastructure needed for an efficient and effective end-to-end recruitment process, from initial interaction through onboarding.
- Understand the talent market deeply and provide insights on emerging trends to hiring and leadership teams
- Design and implement an employer branding strategy to enhance the brand awareness of Vannevar Labs in target talent markets
- Stay informed about relevant employment laws, regulations, and industry trends to ensure compliance with legal requirements in all aspects of talent acquisition
- Proven track record of building, scaling, and managing high-performing Talent teams in fast-paced, growth-oriented environments
- Experience within the tech or defense tech communities
- Strong track record as both a Talent Acquisition expert and Talent Acquisition team leader
- Comfortable with change management and adapting to the evolving needs of a growing company
- Seasoned in exercises such as: market mapping, executive style sourcing strategies, and targeted referral campaigns
- Strong strategic thinking and analytical skills, with the ability to translate business objectives into actionable Talent strategies and initiatives
What We Offer:
Health, dental, and vision insurance
Flexible work environment - you manage your workday
100% remote - work from anywhere in the US
Mental health benefits
Pet care reimbursement during travel
Vannevar Labs is an equal opportunity employer, and qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply, even if you don't feel like you're a perfect fit. If you're passionate about contributing to our mission, we'd love to hear from you!