Head of Operations
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2023
Vannevar Labs builds next generation defense software for the public servants keeping our country safe. As a team, we exist because we believe in public service, and we think that our democracy and government improve only if we put serious, collective effort into improving them, including the technology our government uses.
This mission has become urgent. Ukraine is engaged in a war for survival with Russia. China regularly flies nuclear-capable bombers into Taiwan and Japan’s airspace. The US and our allies are fighting a war of deterrence with woefully outdated technology.
We build software to support these missions, including providing battlefield information to allies, identifying malign activity, and helping the US deter and deescalate conflict.
We are a profitable growth startup with some of the best defense investors in the world, including General Catalyst, DFJ Growth, Point72, and enterprise tech investors Costanoa and Felicis.
The Head of Ops will build and manage most of Vannevar's internal operations functions. The role will be shaped depending on your skill set, but will include some combination of people ops, recruiting, marketing, legal, and defense industry specific operations. Over the last 18 months, we’ve experienced a lot of growth, >10xing our revenue and ~3xing our customer base. We raised >$90M of venture capital and became profitable. Your job is critical in building and scaling ops functions to support growth.
The ideal candidate for the position has built and managed operations functions from scratch at a high growth startup and has some experience with parts of the operations functions we’re looking to cover – e.g., recruiting, people ops, marketing, legal, etc. We are looking for someone who can handle a wide variety of internal operations functions and is excited to build a small, high performing team.
What you'll do (depending on your incoming skillset)
- Legal – hire a general counsel and help build an internal legal function that can handle both corporate and defense-industry specific law
- Defense industry operations – including owning our SCIF strategy, security and compliance processes, and helping with DoD systems compliance
- People ops and recruiting – build and manage a high performing team and coordinate cross-functionally to help the people team scale us from ~90 to ~130+ teammates across mission and engineering
- Marketing in support of recruiting – set and implement our candidate marketing strategy
- Other special projects working in partnership with the head of finance and business unit leaders
- Experience building and implementing some internal operations functions at high growth tech companies – e.g., recruiting, people ops, marketing, etc.
- Experience standing up new functions and successfully hiring and managing experts in those functions as they scale
- Experience hiring and managing small, high performing ops / bizops teams
- Service mindset - We think of internal operations as support / customer service functions for the engineering, product, and missions teams. We are looking for someone that shares this mindset.
What We Offer:
Health, dental, and vision insurance
Flexible work environment - you manage your workday
100% remote - work from anywhere in the US
Mental health benefits
Pet care reimbursement during travel
Vannevar Labs is an equal opportunity employer, and qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply, even if you don't feel like you're a perfect fit. If you're passionate about contributing to our mission, we'd love to hear from you!