Senior Payroll Manager
We created Upside to transform brick and mortar commerce. Our technology uses the sophistication of online retail—profit measurement, attribution, and incrementality—to provide users with more value on their everyday purchases and brick and mortar businesses with new, profitable customers. We’ve helped millions of users earn 2 to 3 times more cash back than any other product, and hundreds of thousands of brick and mortar businesses earn measurable profit. Billions of dollars in commerce runs through the Upside platform every year, and that value goes directly back to our retailer partners, the consumers they serve, and towards important sustainability initiatives. Our mission, values, and dedication to inclusivity guide our team of more than 300 people worldwide, and the quality of our culture is reflected in the impact we’ve had on the people and businesses we work with.
About the job:
The Senior Payroll Manager will run payroll, create payroll processes and procedures, ensure legal compliance, and maintain accurate payroll records. If you enjoy payroll and joining a fast-paced and growing company, this opportunity may be the right fit for you!
What you'll do:
- Build, lead, and run payroll operations and processing for 350+ employees in 30+ states
- Respond to payroll inquiries, resolve payroll issues, and communicate efficiently and timely with employees, leaders, and outside agencies
- Partner with internal functions to identify and drive process improvements to ensure scalability, inclusive of setting up payroll operations in new states and refining payroll SOPs and documentation
- Establish payroll controls and procedures to align with federal, state, and local payroll and tax laws
- Support annual financial statements, benefit plan audits, workers' comp, and 401K audits
- Ensure compliance with the prevailing laws governing payroll and the related taxes, employee benefits, garnishments, and other statutory pay and related entitlements
What you need:
- 8+ years of multistate payroll experience and knowledge of related payroll laws and regulations
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Business and CPP highly preferred
- Experience with payroll tax filings and other compliance requirements
- A high level of organization and outstanding attention to detail
- Initiative and the ability to prioritize independently -- comfort with ambiguity, asking questions, seeking out answers, and operating with minimal guidance
- Exceptional customer service and effective communication skills
- Adaptability, resilience, and hustle
The fine print:
- Location: This role is a hybrid role and required to work from our Washington, DC office 3 days/week.
- Notice to recruiters and placement agencies: This is an in-house search with a dedicated recruiter. Please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Upside. Upside is not liable for, and will not pay, placement fees for candidates submitted by any party or agency other than its approved recruitment partners.
At Upside, we believe that diversity drives innovation. Our differences are what makes us stronger. We‘re passionate about building a workplace that represents a variety of backgrounds, skills, and perspectives and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Everyone is welcome here. Come join us!