Director, Lifecycle Marketing
We created Upside to help communities thrive! Our retail technology uses the sophistication of online retail—profit measurement, attribution, and incrementality—to provide users with more value on their everyday purchases and brick and mortar businesses with new, profitable customers. We’ve helped millions of users earn 2 to 3 times more cash back than any other product, and tens of thousands of brick and mortar businesses earn measurable profit. Billions of dollars in commerce run through the Upside platform every year, and that value goes directly back to our local retailers, the consumers they serve, and towards important sustainability initiatives.
Upside was named on Deloitte's 2021 & 2022 list of Fastest Growing 500 Tech Companies and #308 in Inc.’s America’s fastest growing private companies of 2022. Upside’s Series D funding round was led by General Catalyst with a $1.5 billion valuation in March 2022. Other notable investors include Bessemer Ventures and Formation8.
Our mission, values, and commitment to inclusivity guide our team of 400 people worldwide, and the quality of our culture is reflected in the impact we’ve had on communities nationwide. But don’t just take our word for it! In 2023, Upside was included as a Top Workplace in the USA, received six Best Places to Work awards from Built In, and was named a Top Workplace for Perks & Culture by The Muse.
Meet the Growth Marketing Team:
The Growth Marketing Team is made up of innovative individuals focused on growing the user base across fuel, restaurant, and grocery and nurturing our existing customers. With a heavy emphasis on data and experimentation, the team tests performance across a variety of channels, including radio, digital, and outstanding referral programs, which builds space for creativity and diverse ideas. The team also owns the user experience once they sign up for the app, sending tens of millions of engaging and relevant emails, push notifications, and in-app messages each month to drive app usage. The Growth Marketing team works closely with writers, designers, creative strategists, data analysts, and others from across the organization to serve our 5M users and touch millions more through our marketing channels.d
About the job:
By the end of the year, Upside has a goal to 2x the transactions that we drive to our almost 50,000 merchants and 20x our grocery and restaurant business.. To help us hit these goals, we’re in search of a Director, Lifecycle Marketing to develop and implement programs that optimize conversion of new users, drive increased value from existing Upside users, and reactivate churned users. This role will take a data-driven and experimental approach, then work cross-functionally to scale up what’s most effective. It’s an exciting opportunity to have strong ownership at a well-funded, rapidly growing startup.
What you’ll do:
- Build and manage a hard-working lifecycle marketing team and mobilize them to execute your vision while supporting them to achieve their professional development goals
- Direct the lifecycle marketing team and align support cross-functionally to lead the design of and implement growth marketing campaigns focused on increasing audience engagement, retention, and growing our subscription businesses
- Own the marketing execution for email, push, and on-platform communications with an in-depth understanding of each channel's technical capabilities
- Partner with product, marketing, and analytics peers to define key objectives and develop and continually optimize customer segmentation and the corresponding marketing strategy
- Lead efforts to define and improve lifecycle marketing spanning conversion (successful first usage of the app) through retention to maintain user engagement, increase the frequency of use, or win back inactive users
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with agencies as necessary to accelerate Upside’s growth
What you need:
- 10+ years of marketing experience, preferably at B2C/app based businesses
- Ability to both think strategically and implement tactically, with excellent communication and leadership skills
- Hands-on leader with experience juggling multiple projects and working cross-functionally in a fast-paced cross-functional environment
- Strong data-driven mentality and deeply familiar with tools to support retention and CRM efforts such as Looker, Email Creation/HTML, Mixpanel
- Experience with marketing automation platforms like Iterable, Braze and others preferred
- Experience with analytics tools like Looker and Mixpanel, SQL experience strongly preferred
- Genuine excitement and passion for the substantial opportunity to unleash your creative flair and help more people fuel their lives
- Approach your work with positivity and resilience to stay focused on the wins that truly move the business forward
The fine print:
- Location: This role is a hybrid role and required to work from our NYC office two days/week.
- Notice to recruiters and placement agencies: This is an in-house search with a dedicated recruiter. Please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Upside. Upside is not liable for, and will not pay, placement fees for candidates submitted by any party or agency other than its approved recruitment partners.
At Upside, we believe that diversity drives innovation. Our differences are what makes us stronger. We‘re passionate about building a workplace that represents a variety of backgrounds, skills, and perspectives and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Everyone is welcome here. Come join us!