Senior Director, Demand Generation
We created Upside to help communities thrive! Our retail technology uses the sophistication of online retail—profit measurement, attribution, and incrementality—to provide users with more value on their everyday purchases and brick and mortar businesses with new, profitable customers. We’ve helped millions of users earn 2 to 3 times more cash back than any other product, and tens of thousands of brick and mortar businesses earn measurable profit. Billions of dollars in commerce run through the Upside platform every year, and that value goes directly back to our local retailers, the consumers they serve, and towards important sustainability initiatives.
Upside was named on Deloitte's 2021 & 2022 list of Fastest Growing 500 Tech Companies and #308 in Inc.’s America’s fastest growing private companies of 2022. Upside’s Series D funding round was led by General Catalyst with a $1.5 billion valuation in March 2022. Other notable investors include Bessemer Ventures and Formation8.
Our mission, values, and commitment to inclusivity guide our team of 400 people worldwide, and the quality of our culture is reflected in the impact we’ve had on communities nationwide. But don’t just take our word for it: in 2023, Upside was included as a Top Workplace in the USA, received six Best Places to Work awards from Built In, and was named a Top Workplace for Perks & Culture by The Muse.
About the job:
Upside is a rapidly growing scale-up in search of a Sr. Director of Demand Generation to uplevel our marketing efforts and develop a robust pipeline, drive merchant acquisition, and increase revenue. This role will be responsible for leading, planning, and executing against the targets in enterprise, mid-market, and SMB segments across all verticals. You're a passionate, self-starter with a can-do attitude who will ensure strategic alignment with company goals and embed a performance-oriented, data-driven approach throughout the demand generation team. You're eager to jump in and get things done but don't get flustered in a fast-paced and often changing environment. You know the SaaS funnel but you also love setting a vision and selling alongside the field. As a senior, strategic, hands-on leader, you’ll partner with cross-functional leaders across Upside to build integrated, highly-targeted campaigns and programs that drive customer acquisition. This role will report directly to the CMO, is highly visible within the organization and will have a significant impact on Upside’s long-term growth.
What you’ll do:
- Translate company objectives into a comprehensive demand generation strategy with corresponding key performance indicators that grows our overall audience and engages, nurtures, and converts prospects
- Partner with Sales, Marketing and Product leadership to create and refine customer segments/personas in order to build campaigns that resonate with the target audience that originate new business as well as accelerate sales cycle
- Lead detailed quarterly demand gen planning to meet the business goals. Run quarterly demand gen retrospectives to determine effectiveness of various programs
- Collaborate with Product Marketing to convert product positioning and narratives into compelling messaging and brand-aligned campaigns
- Lead the definition, development, and execution of omnichannel campaigns that convey a cohesive narrative through both online channels (e.g., content marketing, webinars, emails, paid search/social, SEO) and offline channels (e.g., trade shows, conferences, event promotion, direct mail)
- Impress a meticulous, data-driven approach across all campaigns and channels to evaluate effectiveness of tactics and better understand marketing attribution
- Develop dashboards and reporting using Hubspot, Salesforce, Looker etc. to draw insights from complex marketing data that inform strategy and decision-making
- Manage demand generation budget and expenditures to achieve overall growth and return on investment targets
- Build, manage, and coach a team of highly-talented marketing professionals across demand generation, field marketing, campaign marketing, and digital marketing
- Partner with both internal teams and external agencies to maintain brand standards and compliance across all marketing and communications channels
- Stay current on new approaches, trends, and tools and adjust accordingly
What you need:
- 15+ years of marketing experience that includes enterprise B2B, SMB B2B, and digital marketing
- 7+ years of marketing leadership experience with multiple levels of management
- Deep domain experience in digital marketing and different ABM approaches.
- Demonstrable experience establishing and leading marketing strategy in a dynamic and fast-paced start-up environment
- Excellent quantitative marketing skills with a successful track record of using data and analytics to improve conversion through the funnel by experimenting, then scaling
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills
- Be able to operate in a player-coach role when needed to help problem solve and develop talent
- Exceptional customer service and people skills
- Experience with relevant technologies (e.g., HubSpot, Salesforce, Looker, Mixpanel) and a playbook for building a highly-effective demand generation marketing stack
- Commitment to leading with humility, curiosity, and transparency, with a willingness to roll-up-your-sleeves and dig into the work
The fine print:
- Location: This role is a hybrid role and required to work from our NYC, Chicago, San Francisco Bay Area, DC or Austin office 2 days/week.
- Notice to recruiters and placement agencies: This is an in-house search with a dedicated recruiter. Please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Upside. Upside is not liable for, and will not pay, placement fees for candidates submitted by any party or agency other than its approved recruitment partners.
At Upside, we believe that diversity drives innovation. Our differences are what makes us stronger. We‘re passionate about building a workplace that represents a variety of backgrounds, skills, and perspectives and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Everyone is welcome here. Come join us!