Senior Android Engineer I
We created Upside to help communities thrive! Our retail technology uses the sophistication of online retail—profit measurement, attribution, and incrementality—to provide users with more value on their everyday purchases and brick and mortar businesses with new, profitable customers. We’ve helped millions of users earn 2 to 3 times more cash back than any other product, and tens of thousands of brick and mortar businesses earn measurable profit. Billions of dollars in commerce run through the Upside platform every year, and that value goes directly back to our local retailers, the consumers they serve, and towards important sustainability initiatives.
Upside was named on Deloitte's 2021 & 2022 list of Fastest Growing 500 Tech Companies and #308 in Inc.’s America’s fastest growing private companies of 2022. Upside’s Series D funding round was led by General Catalyst with a $1.5 billion valuation in March 2022. Other notable investors include Bessemer Ventures and Formation8.
Our mission, values, and commitment to inclusivity guide our team of more than 350 people worldwide, and the quality of our culture is reflected in the impact we’ve had on communities nationwide. But don’t just take our word for it! In 2023, Upside was included as a Top Workplace in the USA, received six Best Places to Work awards from Built In, and was named a Top Workplace for Perks & Culture by The Muse.
Meet the hive:
The consumer hive is a group of mobile developers and full stack engineers committed to building the Upside app. We have four teams within our hive, each with a deep focus on a swath of the app's feature set.
About the job:
The Senior Mobile Android Engineer will help build our top-20-rated app with millions of active users. You will be part of an agile team and an active participant in shaping the features and processes we use to deliver. You’ll work with other mobile app developers and our back-end team to imagine, build, and deliver new features intended to improve retention, drive deep engagement, and ease transaction flow for consumers.
What you’ll do:
- Work across multiple teams of mobile developers and interact closely with our Product, Design, Architecture, and Research teams
- Help continue to shape our mobile experience, ensuring the best performance and user experience
- Build and support our consumer Android app to delight our millions of users
- Proactively identify challenges in the development process to reduce developer friction
- Participate in architecture discussions and contribute to improving the foundation of our mobile platform
What you need:
- A strong desire to make a deep impact on the next phase of our company
- An ownership mentality: you look around the corner to identify risks, opportunities, and understand their impact on the business and our users
- Extensive experience in mobile app development
- A solid foundation in scaling mobile apps with high quality
- A passion for working in a dynamic and growing startup environment with a tight-knit, supportive engineering team that strives to make work interesting, challenging, and fun
- A constant desire for learning and self-improvement
Our technology stack includes:
- Kotlin / Java
- Jetpack Compose, XML
- Coroutines, MVVM, CLEAN architecture
The fine print:
- Location: This is a fully-remote role that may sit anywhere in the United States. You're welcome to work from our DC, Austin, Chicago or New York office if you're in-region!
- Notice to recruiters and placement agencies: This is an in-house search with a dedicated recruiter. Please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Upside. Upside is not liable for, and will not pay, placement fees for candidates submitted by any party or agency other than its approved recruitment partners.
At Upside, we believe that diversity drives innovation. Our differences are what makes us stronger. We‘re passionate about building a workplace that represents a variety of backgrounds, skills, and perspectives and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Everyone is welcome here. Come join us!