Senior Product Manager — Payments Fraud
We created Upside to help communities thrive! Our retail technology uses the sophistication of online retail—profit measurement, attribution, and incrementality—to provide users with more value on their everyday purchases and brick and mortar businesses with new, profitable customers. We’ve helped millions of users earn 2 to 3 times more cash back than any other product, and tens of thousands of brick and mortar businesses earn measurable profit. Billions of dollars in commerce run through the Upside platform every year, and that value goes directly back to our local retailers, the consumers they serve, and towards important sustainability initiatives.
Upside was named on Deloitte's 2021 & 2022 list of Fastest Growing 500 Tech Companies and #308 in Inc.’s America’s fastest growing private companies of 2022. Upside’s Series D funding round was led by General Catalyst with a $1.5 billion valuation in March 2022. Other notable investors include Bessemer Ventures and Formation8.
Our mission, values, and commitment to inclusivity guide our team of more than 350 people worldwide, and the quality of our culture is reflected in the impact we’ve had on communities nationwide. But don’t just take our word for it! In 2023, Upside was included as a Top Workplace in the USA, received six Best Places to Work awards from Built In, and was named a Top Workplace for Perks & Culture by The Muse.
Meet the Product Management team:
Our Product team at Upside is composed of motivated individuals with a diverse set of experiences, all working diligently to ensure that our product delivers as much value as possible for our merchants and consumers. Whether partnering with Engineering, Design, Marketing, or Sales, we’re committed to taking an experiment-led approach to guarantee that data drives decisions.
About the job:
Upside has recently embarked on a journey to transform how our Merchants realize the value our Users bring to their locations by building out new Payments capabilities. We are actively seeking a talented Payment Fraud Solutions Product Manager to join our team! As a member of the payments team, you will have a unique opportunity to shape the future of digital payments and safeguard our users' payment data.
In this role, you will be responsible for spearheading the product roadmap and strategy for our payment fraud solutions. This involves building strong relationships with our key partners and customers while ensuring the utmost security and reliability of our solutions. Furthermore, you will stay current with the latest fraud trends, develop standard processes for fraud management, and drive innovation in this domain.
We are in search of a highly motivated individual with a fervor for payments, robust problem-solving abilities, and a commitment to continuous learning and enhancement. The ideal candidate will possess a deep understanding of payments fraud management and a track record of leading product teams in the payments industry.
What you'll do:
- As the Anti-fraud Product Manager, your role involves constructing, enhancing, and leading all aspects of business processes aimed at detecting and preventing fraudulent activities across various scenarios, including transactions, KYC, post-sales interactions, and interactions involving buyers and merchants
- You will develop proactive risk control strategies by analyzing user behavior, content, user feedback, and other data. Your responsibility includes advancing and upgrading product safety mechanisms and ensuring the effectiveness of risk solution plans.
- Collaborate closely with technology and analytics teams to establish and enhance risk perception, identification, intervention, and governance systems. Additionally, design universal risk control products and services capable of supporting diverse business segments.
- Create a systematic risk management framework to minimize capital loss and enhance metrics associated with risk exposure throughout the entire business lifecycle.
- Skillfully prioritize and strike a balance between user experience, retailer experience, and platform performance and protection within the ecosystem.
- Collaborate with various stakeholders from business, data science, operations, technology, and security/risk departments to address scalable risk challenges.
What you need:
- 5+ years of experience in product management in the payments space
- BA/BS degree
- Excellent problem-solving, analytical, and influencing skills, with proven ability to take initiative and build strong, positive relationships
- Quick understanding of new fraud motives and sensible diagnosis of key control points
- Strong user insight, with an ability to transform sophisticated data and customer insights into product vision and a prioritized roadmap
- Proficiency in SQL and data analysis are required; Fundamental understanding of statistics or algorithms is a plus
- Ability to drive significant outcomes in a fast-paced environment
- Experience partnering with cross-functional teams of engineers, designers, sales, marketing, operations, and data scientists to deliver outstanding products
The fine print:
- Location: This is a hybrid role
- Notice to recruiters and placement agencies: This is an in-house search with a dedicated recruiter. Please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Upside. Upside is not liable for, and will not pay, placement fees for candidates submitted by any party or agency other than its approved recruitment partners.
At Upside, we believe that diversity drives innovation. Our differences are what makes us stronger. We‘re passionate about building a workplace that represents a variety of backgrounds, skills, and perspectives and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Everyone is welcome here. Come join us!