Senior Manager, Product Design
We created Upside to help communities thrive! Our retail technology uses the sophistication of online retail—profit measurement, attribution, and incrementality—to provide users with more value on their everyday purchases and brick and mortar businesses with new, profitable customers. We’ve helped millions of users earn 2 to 3 times more cash back than any other product, and tens of thousands of brick and mortar businesses earn measurable profit. Billions of dollars in commerce run through the Upside platform every year, and that value goes directly back to our local retailers, the consumers they serve, and towards important sustainability initiatives.
Upside was named on Deloitte's 2021 & 2022 list of Fastest Growing 500 Tech Companies and #308 in Inc.’s America’s fastest growing private companies of 2022. Upside’s Series D funding round was led by General Catalyst with a $1.5 billion valuation in March 2022. Other notable investors include Bessemer Ventures and Formation8.
Our mission, values, and commitment to inclusivity guide our team of more than 350 people worldwide, and the quality of our culture is reflected in the impact we’ve had on communities nationwide. But don’t just take our word for it:In 2023, Upside was included as a Top Workplace in the USA, received six Best Places to Work awards from Built In, and was named a Top Workplace for Perks & Culture by The Muse.
Meet the Team:
The Design team at Upside works to craft simple and impactful experiences for both sides of our marketplace (merchants + consumers). We are a small but mighty team that threads the needle through the connective tissue across all of our customers’ experiences. This is a wonderful opportunity to contribute and continue to craft the Design practice for a hyper-focused, high-growth team!
About the job:
This highly-collaborative role will manage a team of Product Designers to uplevel our consumer product experiences. This role will work together cross-functionally with Product Management and Engineering to fully realize products and features from inception to release. This role reports to the Head of Design, and together, with the rest of the Design Team, you’ll work to optimize our process, tools, and help uplevel Design Culture at Upside.
What you'll do:
- Lead and grow your team of product designers.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to manage our process and vision for our consumer experiences.
- Be part of our product development life-cycle, from strategy through pixel-perfect delivery.
- Contribute,build, and present artifacts such as user journeys, wireframes, detailed UX flows, prototypes, UI mockups, sketches, visuals, decks, and explanations that promote understanding and alignment with leadership and cross-functional teams.
- Run team ceremonies and design sprints.
- Work with Product Manager and Research partners to apply consumer and business insights and turn them into tangible customer experiences.
- Collaborate with Engineering to understand feasibility and optimize designs, coming up with creative solutions to help us ship faster while adhering to our design craft standards.
- Explore concepts, optimize processes and tools, iterate on feedback, and narrow to the best solution while maintaining momentum.
- Present your work across the organization to a variety of executives and partners.
- Advocate for Design Culture and Best Practices.
What you need:
- 7+ years as a Product Designer, with 3+ years of management experience
- Proactive, self-starter work ethic, entrepreneurial personality
- Has a Human-Centered approach to Design
- A high level of empathy - for both our customers and internal collaborators
- Comfort working within some ambiguity in a fast-paced environment
- Be committed to delivering pixel-perfect designs
- Ability to back decisions with data and research
- Proficiency in Figma
- Experience with and working within Design System frameworks
- Expert at articulating the reasoning behind your design decisions
- A love of results-driven experimentation
The fine print:
- Location: This is a fully-remote role that may sit anywhere in the United States. You're welcome to work from our DC, Austin, Chicago or New York office if you're in-region.
- Notice to recruiters and placement agencies: This is an in-house search with a dedicated recruiter. Please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Upside. Upside is not liable for, and will not pay, placement fees for candidates submitted by any party or agency other than its approved recruitment partners.
At Upside, we believe that diversity drives innovation. Our differences are what makes us stronger. We‘re passionate about building a workplace that represents a variety of backgrounds, skills, and perspectives and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Everyone is welcome here. Come join us.