Staff Software Engineer, ML Ops
We created Upside to help communities thrive! Our retail technology uses the sophistication of online retail—profit measurement, attribution, and incrementality—to provide users with more value on their everyday purchases and brick and mortar businesses with new, profitable customers. We’ve helped millions of users earn 2 to 3 times more cash back than any other product, and tens of thousands of brick and mortar businesses earn measurable profit. Billions of dollars in commerce run through the Upside platform every year, and that value goes directly back to our local retailers, the consumers they serve, and towards important sustainability initiatives.
Upside was named on Deloitte's 2021 & 2022 list of Fastest Growing 500 Tech Companies and #308 in Inc.’s America’s fastest growing private companies of 2022. Upside’s Series D funding round was led by General Catalyst with a $1.5 billion valuation in March 2022. Other notable investors include Bessemer Ventures and Formation8.
Our mission, values, and commitment to inclusivity guide our team of 400 people worldwide, and the quality of our culture is reflected in the impact we’ve had on communities nationwide. But don’t just take our word for it! In 2023, Upside was included as a Top Workplace in the USA, received six Best Places to Work awards from Built In, and was named a Top Workplace for Perks & Culture by The Muse.
Meet the Personalization & Pricing team:
The Personalization & Pricing engineering team builds scalable and reliable software platforms that serve Machine Learning (ML) predictions in real time. These real-time software platforms enable data scientists to develop, train, monitor, and maintain ML models served through these platforms. We are iterating on and improving our core offer pricing and ranking algorithms, with fraud and other personalization applications in the roadmap.
About the job:
We are looking for a world-class ML engineer who will take up the ownership of designing, building and enhancing our current and future ML platform. In this position, you will bring your knowledge and experience to take our ML engineering team to the highest standards of software engineering to serve real-time predictions and to accelerate data scientists as they develop and iterate on models. The position will provide greenfield opportunities to make an impact at Upside and on the ML industry at large. If you are up for a rewarding challenge, then this is the role for you.
What you'll do:
- Work with data scientists, infrastructure, and core engineering teams to design, develop, deploy, and integrate machine learning platforms
- Architect and build core components of the ML infrastructure with an eye on scale and resilience
- Enable Data Scientists by designing and building a platform that accelerates their model development lifecycle from proof of concept to production deployment to ongoing monitoring and iteration
- Own production systems with a focus on delivery, continuous integration, and automation of machine learning workloads for real-time systems
- Drive the development of junior team members through mentorship and coaching
- Document, train and communicate within and outside the team
- Establish Upside as a technical leader in the Data and Machine Learning space by presenting your work at reputable industry forums
What you need:
- 8+ years of software engineering experience inclusive of ML and developing cloud-native solutions (AWS preferred)
- Expertise with Python3 and data frameworks such as numpy, Pandas, or TensorFlow
- Experience with the complete Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) for successful, resilient, and scalable real-time distributed systems
- Ability to problem-solve and deliver results in a fast-paced, high-energy environment
- Eagerness to learn new technologies and stay aligned with the latest developments in machine learning engineering
- Teamwork mentality and a passion for leading and mentoring junior engineers
- Exceptional communication and the capability of explaining and writing nuanced engineering concepts to non-technical audiences
Our technology stack:
- Python3, Java
- AWS Lambda, Personalize, ECS, EKS, DynamoDB, ElastiCache, S3
- Snowflake, dbt, Dagster
The fine print:
- Worksite location: This is a fully-remote role that may sit anywhere in the United States. You're welcome to work from our DC, Austin, Chicago or New York office if you're in-region!
- Notice to recruiters and placement agencies: This is an in-house search with a dedicated recruiter. Please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Upside. Upside is not liable for, and will not pay, placement fees for candidates submitted by any party or agency other than its approved recruitment partners.
At Upside, we believe that diversity drives innovation. Our differences are what makes us stronger. We‘re passionate about building a workplace that represents a variety of backgrounds, skills, and perspectives and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Everyone is welcome here. Come join us!