Engineering Manager - ML Ops
We created Upside to help communities thrive! Our retail technology uses the sophistication of online retail—profit measurement, attribution, and incrementality—to provide users with more value on their everyday purchases and brick and mortar businesses with new, profitable customers. We’ve helped millions of users earn 2 to 3 times more cash back than any other product, and tens of thousands of brick and mortar businesses earn measurable profit. Billions of dollars in commerce run through the Upside platform every year, and that value goes directly back to our local retailers, the consumers they serve, and towards important sustainability initiatives.
Upside was named on Deloitte's 2021 & 2022 list of Fastest Growing 500 Tech Companies and #308 in Inc.’s America’s fastest growing private companies of 2022. Upside’s Series D funding round was led by General Catalyst with a $1.5 billion valuation in March 2022. Other notable investors include Bessemer Ventures and Formation8.
Our mission, values, and commitment to inclusivity guide our team of 400 people worldwide, and the quality of our culture is reflected in the impact we’ve had on communities nationwide. But don’t just take our word for it! In 2023, Upside was included as a Top Workplace in the USA, received six Best Places to Work awards from Built In, and was named a Top Workplace for Perks & Culture by The Muse.
About the job:
The Senior Engineering Manager will lead the engineering efforts on the Personalization & Pricing team, working closely with the Product and Data Science teams. Through these partnerships, this leader will establish the engineering roadmap and lead all aspects of its implementation to support our business needs. The role will also work across the Engineering organization alongside the Analytics Engineering, Data, and Marketplace Engineering teams to ensure that our solutions are aligned to company goals.
More about the Personalization & Pricing Team:
The Personalization & Pricing engineering team builds scalable and reliable software platforms that serve Machine Learning (ML) predictions in real time. These real-time software platforms enable data scientists to develop, train, monitor, and maintain ML models served through these platforms. We are iterating on and improving our core offer pricing and ranking algorithms, with fraud and other personalization applications in the roadmap. Our goal is to accelerate the delivery of data science models into production while driving business KPIs to increase consumer adoption, increase profitability for Upside and our merchants, and improve consumer and merchant satisfaction.
What you'll do:
- Lead the strategic and day-to-day engineering workload management of the team.
- Use Agile methodologies to manage and deliver the teams’ OKRs.
- Partner with our Product Managers and Data Science to prioritize the work both tactically and strategically.
- Build (in collaboration with the product management and data science teams) OKRs and roadmaps, then drive the plans through sprints.
- Shape the strategic direction of the organization.
- Ensure continuous investment in machine learning platform capabilities to accelerate delivery of data science.
- Be responsible for the hiring, mentoring, career development, and organizational needs of your team.
What you need:
- 3+ years experience building and leading high-impact teams.
- 3+ years working as or with analysts, data scientists, or data engineers.
- 5+ years of experience using cloud first technologies such as streams, containers, services, and both document and relational data stores.
- 5+ years of programming experience in either Python or Java.
- Proven experience designing and implementing high performance platforms.
- Skilled in collecting, analyzing and writing requirements.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to work across multiple business and engineering organizations.
The fine print:
- Worksite location: This is a fully-remote role that may sit anywhere in the United States. You're welcome to work from our DC, Austin, Chicago or New York office if you're in-region!
- Notice to recruiters and placement agencies: This is an in-house search with a dedicated recruiter. Please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Upside. Upside is not liable for, and will not pay, placement fees for candidates submitted by any party or agency other than its approved recruitment partners.
At Upside, we believe that diversity drives innovation. Our differences are what makes us stronger. We‘re passionate about building a workplace that represents a variety of backgrounds, skills, and perspectives and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Everyone is welcome here. Come join us!