Senior SRE Engineer
We created Upside to help communities thrive! Our retail technology uses the sophistication of online retail—profit measurement, attribution, and incrementality—to provide users with more value on their everyday purchases and brick and mortar businesses with new, profitable customers. We’ve helped millions of users earn 2 to 3 times more cash back than any other product, and tens of thousands of brick and mortar businesses earn measurable profit. Billions of dollars in commerce run through the Upside platform every year, and that value goes directly back to our local retailers, the consumers they serve, and towards important sustainability initiatives.
Upside was named on Deloitte's 2021 2022 list of Fastest Growing 500 Tech Companies and #308 in Inc.’s America’s fastest growing private companies of 2022. Upside’s Series D funding round was led by General Catalyst with a $1.5 billion valuation in March 2022. Other notable investors include Bessemer Ventures and Formation8.
Our mission, values, and commitment to inclusivity guide our team of more than 350 people worldwide, and the quality of our culture is reflected in the impact we’ve had on communities nationwide. But don’t just take our word for it! In 2023, Upside was included as a Top Workplace in the USA, received six Best Places to Work awards from Built In, and was named a Top Workplace for Perks Culture by The Muse.
Meet the Foundation team:
The Foundation team at Upside is a close-knit group of hardworking, fast-learning engineers that believe in our mission to help communities thrive. We debate and deliberate on the best ideas to improve our tech stack, and strive for an inclusive atmosphere that champions the psychological wellness of all of our teammates.
About the job:
You will join the Foundation team to build, run and operate a first-class productivity platform. This platform will be used by the entire engineering organization. The Upside platform and engineering organization is scaling rapidly and this role will identify the areas that we need to automate, abstract, or redesign to support the hyper-growth of the platform.
What you’ll do:
- Identify and solve high-value issues affecting multiple engineering teams by creating tools and making changes to existing code repositories
- Establish and drive culture change around system reliability, including:
- Architectural patterns to use
- Capacity management
- Incident management practices to be used across the organization
- Over the cloud infrastructure used by developers
- Design and implement our Access and Identity controls using products such as Control Tower
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to other Platform engineers
- Work with our InfoSec team to monitor systems and help promote security
- Help proactively manage organizations’ capacity and cost
What you need:
- 5+ years of software engineering experience inclusive of coding with Python or Java
- Experience with programming in Terraform and provisioning Kubernetes clusters highly preferred
- Belief that infrastructure teams are just another product team whose customers just happen to be other engineers
- Passion for working in a dynamic and growing startup environment with a tight-knit, encouraging engineering team that strives to make work and challenging
- Ability to take risks and fail, then learn and self-improve
Our technology stack:
- Python for Automation
- Kubernetes clusters in AWS EKS
- Java microservices using 12-factor principles
- AWS Lambdas written in Java and Python 3
- Message Oriented Architecture
- Jenkins and Github Action CI/CD pipeline
- AWS Services managed through Terraform (RDS), DynamoDB, S3, Athena, SNS, SQS, IAM, VPCs, Elasticache)
The fine print:
- Worksite location: This is a fully-remote role that may sit anywhere in the United States. You're welcome to work from our DC, Austin, Chicago or New York office if you're in-region!
- Notice to recruiters and placement agencies: This is an in-house search with a dedicated recruiter. Please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Upside. Upside is not liable for, and will not pay, placement fees for candidates submitted by any party or agency other than its approved recruitment partners.
At Upside, we believe that diversity drives innovation. Our differences are what makes us stronger. We‘re passionate about building a workplace that represents a variety of backgrounds, skills, and perspectives and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Everyone is welcome here. Come join us!
Something looks off?