Director, Legal - Product and IP
What is the job?
We are looking for a Director, Legal to be ThoughtSpot’s counsel for product and IP matters, reporting to the General Counsel. This Director will play a key role in improving ThoughtSpot’s commercial terms, managing ThoughtSpot’s intellectual property portfolio, overseeing the purchase of key technologies, ensuring regulatory compliance, and working with the development team to address data privacy, data security, and A.I. risks.
As a member of our team, you will play a critical role in ensuring that ThoughtSpot’s platform and product experiences are structured to achieve our business strategy while complying with applicable regulations in multiple jurisdictions. You will work closely with our product development teams to develop and deploy innovative A.I.-powered analytics.
What you’ll do
- General Development Support: Coordinate with partners in the USA and India in development, security, operations, documentation, community, customer success, procurement, and other business units to provide practical and timely legal advice regarding product development, monetization, and regulation.
- Draft Legal Terms: Draft a variety of terms and agreements related to product sales and initiatives, including terms for new product features, data privacy and security, A.I., mobile apps, APIs, SDKs, data licensing, customer feedback, and more.
- Patent Program: Manage the company’s patent program to protect competitive advantage and drive contributions from the development team.
- Manage Intellectual Property: Provide legal advice regarding copyright, trademark, and trade secret protections in furtherance of company goals.
- Technology Procurement: Assist the development team to draft and negotiate technology licensing and subscription agreements.
- Third-Party Software Compliance: Manage the company’s compliance and disclosures related to free and open-source software as well as licensed or technologies and integrated services.
- Technology Alliances: Assist the development team to draft and negotiate technology alliance, integration testing, and security evaluation agreements.
- Product Security and Infosec: Assist the product security and development teams to comply with security and infosec policies and regulations.
- Artificial Intelligence Counsel: Assist the development team to use new A.I. models, interact with external LLMs and other A.I. services, license small language models, and interact with open-source communities or manage open-source contributions as needed. Monitor the burgeoning area of A.I. standards and regulations, and implement responsive compliance in the company.
- Data Counsel: Assist the development and legal teams to license data sets, use external libraries, and comply with related licensor, customer, and regulatory requirements. Assist the legal team to comply with customer requirements, regulations, and policies related to data privacy and artificial intelligence, and to develop data privacy and programs and documents, particularly for European customers.
- Cross-Functional Collaboration: Collaborate with the development team to implement processes to maintain commercial contract terms, implement data privacy and security protections, review open source and commercial licenses, and implement compliant product features, with minimal interference into the development process.
What we look for
- Active membership in at least one state bar. Registered to practice before the USPTO is preferred.
- 8+ years of strategic legal experience providing product and/or intellectual property legal advice with a technology company or law firm primarily supporting technology companies, including at least 2 years of experience as patent counsel.
- Strong negotiating and influencing skills.
- Strong template drafting skill, including licenses, subscription agreements, partnership agreements, and intellectual property transfer agreements.
- Patent prosecution, invention harvesting, patent portfolio management, and/or patent litigation experience.
- Substantive experience in data privacy and data security is preferred.
- A strong interest in A.I. and growing legal environment regarding A.I.
- Software-related technical expertise, experience, or educational background is preferred.
What makes ThoughtSpot a great place to work?
ThoughtSpot is the experience layer of the modern data stack, leading the industry with our AI-Powered Analytics and natural language search. We hire people with unique identities, backgrounds, and perspectives—this balance-for-the-better philosophy is key to our success. When paired with our culture of Selfless Excellence and our drive for continuous improvement (2% done), ThoughtSpot cultivates a respectful culture that pushes norms to create world-class products. If you’re excited by the opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in the business and make your mark on a truly innovative company, we invite you to read more about our mission, and apply to the role that’s right for you.
ThoughtSpot for All
Building a diverse and inclusive team isn't just the right thing to do for our people, it's the right thing to do for our business. We know we can’t solve complex data problems with a single perspective. It takes many voices, experiences, and areas of expertise to deliver the innovative solutions our customers need. At ThoughtSpot, we continually celebrate the diverse communities that individuals cultivate to empower every Spotter to bring their whole authentic self to work.
We’re committed to being real and continuously learning when it comes to equality, equity, and creating space for underrepresented groups to thrive.
Research shows that in order to apply for a job, women feel they need to meet 100% of the criteria while men usually apply after meeting 60%. Regardless of how you identify, if you believe you can do the job and are a good match, we encourage you to apply.
The world’s most innovative companies use AI-Powered Analytics from ThoughtSpot to empower every person in their organization, from C-suite executive to frontline employee, with the ability to ask and answer data questions, create and interact with data-driven insights, and use these insights to make informed decisions and take action. ThoughtSpot is simple enough for any business person to use, yet built to handle even the largest, most complex data, wherever it may reside. That’s why customers like T-Mobile, BT, Snowflake, HubSpot, Exxon, Daimler, Medtronic, Hulu, Nasdaq, OpenTable, Huel, and Nationwide Building Society have turned to ThoughtSpot to transform their data driven decision-making cultures.
- You have read and understood the Candidate Privacy Notice (“Notice”) and acknowledge the collection, processing, use and disclosure of your personal information as set out in the Notice.
- You are not required to provide any requested information to us, but failure to do so may result in not being able to continue your candidacy for a job with us.
- The information you give us is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and belief, and you have not knowingly omitted any related unfavorable information. Providing any inaccurate or misleading information may make you ineligible for employment.
To all recruitment agencies: ThoughtSpot does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, ThoughtSpot employees, or any other organization location. ThoughtSpot nor its employees are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.