About the role
As a software engineer at Thatch, you’ll build software that makes paying for healthcare less painful. The code you write will power our core services, directly helping businesses and their teams pay and save for healthcare.
We’re looking for engineers of all kinds, and would particularly love to talk with those with a strong startup engineering skill set who’ve built, debugged, deployed, and maintained full-stack things at other companies and/or on their own. You should be comfortable dealing with lots of moving pieces, have incredible attention to detail, and have a deep interest in learning new technologies and systems.
What you'll do
- Design, build, and maintain the core applications and APIs Thatch is built on
- Work cross-functionally with other engineers, product managers, operations, and leadership to develop software that provides an incredible user experience
- Respond to and debug production issues to ensure our services run smoothly
- Write technical documentation for internal and external audiences
- Define and constantly improve our engineering standards, tooling, and processes
Background we're looking for
- 4+ years of experience building web applications as a full-stack or backend engineer, ideally at a tech company
- Understanding of modern cloud infra (we currently use AWS, Render, and Vercel at the moment)
- Excitement about building systems from first principles and operating in an ambiguous environment
- We hire for potential — even if you don't meet all the criteria listed here, we encourage you to apply!
Experience we’d be particularly excited about
- Experience or interest in finance, healthcare, or benefits
- Experience building and managing third party integrations
What to expect
We interview rigorously based on integrity, talent, and drive; the trust we display in our teammates from day 1 is a reflection of the confidence we have in this process. We aim to evaluate the things you’ll be doing every day as best we can, and we move quickly — the entire interview process is typically complete within 2 weeks. Here's what to expect:
- A 30 minute Zoom meeting to talk about Thatch, your background, and answer any questions about the role.
- A 30 minute Zoom meeting with a different team member to hear more about your experience and how you'd approach working in the role.
- A take home project to assess your functional expertise for the role you're applying for.
- A 30 minute Zoom call to review your project with another team member and do some pair programming.
- A 30 minute Zoom meeting with one of our founders to discuss your approach to culture and our operating principles.
- A final 30 minute call to address any outstanding questions.