Senior Systems Designer
Who are we?
At Roll7, we create exciting and critically acclaimed video games - including the BAFTA-winning OlliOlli franchise. Innovation, freedom, and a real sense of fun are at the heart of everything we do, from creating award-winning original IPs to the everyday business of running our unique distributed workplace set-up.
With a current headcount of 50+ we need great talent to help us on our journey to build a remarkable studio and help shape the way video games are made in the industry.
We’re looking for a remarkable Senior Systems Designer to be responsible for the output and development of the meta-game, economy and systems for one of our upcoming projects.
The role is a key part of the design team of this project and will involve being heavily involved in the entire systems design as well as other areas of the game’s creation. It will require you to create, maintain and implement best practices from a meta and systems design perspective, and work to integrate the game’s mechanics and content into the core progression and meta-game systems.
The successful candidate will use their experience to champion quality across the project and collaborate effectively with all teams in the delivery of the title.
Typical tasks and projects you will work on include:
- Working closely with the Lead Designer and Creative Director to distil the game vision into core game and system design principles.
- Driving the vision and pillars of the game by designing and developing our core meta systems.
- Making sure all systems are cohesive, feel in place and improve the game.
- Working closely with UI and UX Designers to ensure that your systems are presented to the player in understandable and interesting ways.
- Writing and maintaining detailed design documentation to allow our engineering team to build your systems.
- Feeding back on implementation, with input from the Lead Game Designer.
- Pitching and presenting new systems for the game.
- Balancing and helping maintain all meta and economy systems - If it’s got a number, you’re involved in it!
- Driving the main progression routes through the game.
- Working closely with production to breakdown and scope tasks and workloads.
- Working closely with all design disciplines, including systems design, meta design, level design, narrative teams and moment to moment gameplay to ensure a cohesive experience.
You as our Senior Systems Designer
A systems design specialist. We’re looking for someone to fill a gap in our team. You will know things that we don’t, and use your specialist skills to help us create new types of high-quality experiences in our games.
A multi-faceted design approach. You have a keen eye for detail, but also the ability to think bigger. You can look holistically at the project’s interlocking systems and designs and what makes it a great game, as well as working deep in the interactions between gameplay and overarching player progression and reward.
An open mind and friendly nature is vital. Roll7 has managed to stay true to its core beliefs and make this one of the best remote companies to work for, and it comes down to the people we have working with us. You will come across as friendly, open and easy to get along with whilst remaining clear, concise and delivering when needed.
Team Player. Although we all work from home, none of us are working alone. Communication and a desire to support other members of the team is an essential part of working at Roll7. We also encourage everyone to get involved with our social events and become a big part of the team.
- 3-5 years industry experience in a comparable role.
- Experience with some or all of Economy Design, XP/Progression design, Trade/crafting systems, Weapon and item balancing and Reward systems.
- Practical Experience in Unity.
- A proven ability to break down system design goals into individual components.
- A proven ability to present ideas (both technical and non-technical) to a wide variety of audiences in a succinct manner.
- An excellent understanding of past and current game trends in the multiplayer, PVE and live game space.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to effectively interact with other team members.
- Passionate about developing game designs, systems and processes.
- Ability to work under minimal direction to determine and develop approaches to solutions.
- Ability to multitask and work well under pressure.
- Self-starting, motivated and keen to own your own process.
Nice to have:
- Hands-on experience in Live Ops, F2P or Games as a Service, ideally in console games.
More about Roll7
Game Changers in Remote Working
We've been a remotely distributed studio for the past five years; way before any type of lockdown and pandemic, so we know how to make it work! But pre-restrictions we would make sure our team would meet up once every ten days to keep staff engagement alive and have some real life human interaction. We plan to pick this up again as soon as we can safely do so.
Our robust online communication system, alongside scheduled team fun days and activities, allow us to retain all the positives of a welcoming and friendly office environment, without the downsides of a long and expensive commute and office politics.
We know that remote work allows us to offer a high degree of freedom and autonomy to our motivated and creative staff, and we're passionate about making sure that everyone at Roll7 can work in a way that allows them to balance impressive workplace achievements with their own responsibilities at home.
To complement this we have a robust flexible working policy that allows you to cover your working hours however best suits you, so that the work day can fit around your needs - from doctor’s appointments, to the school run, to extra time to spend with your pets and family. We also do not crunch, we don't want our team to be burnt out or suffer from technostress so working your hours and not crunching is one of our biggest priorities.
Everyone is welcome
Our team is at the heart of everything we do, and it matters to us that everyone feels comfortable and valued at work. We are an equal opportunities employer, and we have a keen commitment to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment where all of our employees are accepted and valued as part of the team. We hire based on talent and suitability for the role - regardless of race, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, pregnancy, marital status or veteran status.
To support this, as a #RaiseTheGame pledge partner, we are deeply committed to creating an inclusive work environment that actively encourages applications from diverse backgrounds and perspectives across underrepresented communities such as BAME, LGBTQIA+ and Disabled applicants.
What's in it for you?
- 26 days annual leave plus Bank Holidays and Christmas shutdown - that’s 37 days holiday total!
- Flexible work hours to accommodate your lifestyle and promote work/life balance
- Wellness initiatives including Headspace memberships and guided chair yoga & meditation sessions
- Support for your physical health, including free eye tests + discounted glasses
- Discretionary hampers & gifts