Massachusetts, USA · Remote
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2023
ABOUT GHOST STORY GAMES
Ghost Story Games is a self-publishing game studio owned by Take-Two Interactive. Our mission is simple: to create immersive, story-driven videogames for people who love games that ask something of them.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
The ideal candidate has multiple years of experience designing levels for first-person shooters. In this role, you will be crafting dynamic gameplay experiences within a rich environment. Responsibilities include developing level-design layouts, scripting events, tuning AI encounters and creating design documentation, and all things gameplay-related.
- Work with lead designer and lead environment artist on level-design layouts, gameplay setup, encounter scripting, design documentation and all things gameplay-related.
- Work alongside other designers, artists, animators and engineers to create gameplay spaces that engage with our narrative storytelling while being fun and running within optimization goals.
- Work within established level-design metrics and game systems to create challenging encounters, interesting scenarios and unique moments.
- Pitch ideas, strategic initiatives and game concepts to all levels of management and leadership.
- Champion your vision throughout each stage of development, across multiple departments.
- Implement level-design changes based on in-house feedback and outside playtesting data.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 3+ years’ experience as a level designer, with at least 1 shipped FPS title.
- Previous experience working on scripting and design for levels, combat encounters and missions/quests in FPS titles.
- Deep understanding of good level flow and tactical spaces.
- Experience with supporting environmental storytelling through design.
- Strong spatial and layout design skills.
- Experienced in supporting gameplay mechanics in the game world.
- Experience with scripting events and debugging game logic.
- Intuitive understanding of how FPS games work and why people play them.
- Strong content-design skills, including experience with RPG systems.
- Self-motivated toward solving creative problems.
- Ability to respond elegantly to difficult creative changes, often late in the process.
- Ability to prioritize feature requests to developers and engineers based on design goals.
- Unreal Engine 4 experience.
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S.
- Great working knowledge of game-design theory and game-development methodologies, including level-design theory and practice.
- Can easily break down core level-design elements and use them when creating combat and traversal sections of a level.
- Self-motivated and able to work well independently.
- Ability to work well under pressure and with deadlines.
- Excellent communication, collaboration, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Understanding of source control via Perforce or equivalent.
WHAT WE OFFER
- The opportunity to work on a creatively ambitious project in the immersive sim genre.
- A world-class team. We are proud to be home to some of the most talented, smartest, nicest and hardest-working colleagues. We make mistakes sometimes, but we help each other by finding mistakes early and depending on each other to fix them quickly.
- We are a core development team of just under 40 people and work closely with specialist outsource groups and contractors when necessary.
- Open Communication: Our team members are welcome to join any meeting, and we have a flat structure. Team-based decision making is important to us, regardless of your position – every opinion counts and is considered.
- Flexible Hours: We understand that sometimes people need to juggle work and family life, so we have flexible work.
WHEN APPLYING FOR THIS POSITION
- Please have played or at least be familiar with our legacy games System Shock 2, BioShock and BioShock Infinite.
- Submit a strong portfolio showcasing your most recent work to accompany your resume.
See more open positions at Take-Two Interactive
Something looks off?