Technical Partner Manager
At Substack, we believe that what you read matters and good writing is valuable. We’re hiring a Technical Partner Manager to help our most valuable writers grow and succeed wildly on the platform.
The ideal candidate will help us start and eventually grow this unique team: a technically-proficient group who can speak with empathy to our top writers. In order to succeed, they must have deep product knowledge, appropriate relationship context, and the interpersonal skills in order to own these relationships, as well as a knack for bridging the insights they glean from top writers back into Substack’s product teams.
Substack’s compensation package includes a market competitive salary, equity for all full time roles, and exceptional benefits. Our cash compensation salary range for this role is $115k to $165k, plus equity and benefits. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
- Provide personalized, advanced technical support and guidance via email, phone, zoom, and in-person
- Debug technical issues using a mix of internal tools, external tools, as well as custom scripts and applications
- Listen to and help prioritize top writer product feedback. Ensure these issues are highly visible and Substack’s product teams are galvanized around solving them
- Build a system for annual business reviews and regular check ins with our most valuable writers and co-host these sessions
- Share roadmap on technical features and demo new products with top writers, as appropriate
- Assist our writer Acquisition & Development team with pitches to high value prospective writers that involve technical complexity
- Scope and lead effort to build new top writer support tiers, advancing our offerings for top writers
- Outstanding interpersonal skills. A compelling representative of our team to writers. Excellent written, verbal, and diplomatic skills, with a sharp attention to detail. Can think on their feet and represent the company well in front of our top writers. Able to forge trusting—even inspiring, meaningful—relationships with our most valuable writers.
- Technical chops. Technical or product management skills and experience (SQL, coding) are a plus. At minimum, able to speak the same language as engineers and PMs, and file and prioritize bug reports and feature requests within the broader company context.
- Self-starter. Motivated by the challenge to push new initiatives and processes forward, and socialize them across the organization—including scoping a new project, building buy-in, and rallying a cross-functional team that can realize something brand new.
- Project management. Ability to set goals, summon cross-functional resources, craft agendas, host meetings, track the impact, and host retros.
- Highly organized. Capable of developing systems that can track writer requests and needs, and log context for each top writer relationship.
- Passion for reading and writing. A voracious reader and subscriber to Substacks, with an intrinsic passion for serving writers. Interest in the broader online media ecosystem, including researching and developing mastery with new external tools. Strong writing skills are a bonus.
Substack is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or transgender status), age, national origin, veteran or disability status. We’re seeking people passionate about enabling independent expression and building a better business model for creators. If you want to see what media, communities, and content can become when unmoored from advertising models, and you have the skills and experience to contribute, we’d love to meet you.