Staff Product Designer - Design Systems
Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations™ Cloud, which is a platform that enables organizations that depend on physical operations to harness Internet of Things (IoT) data to develop actionable insights and improve their operations. At Samsara, we are helping improve the safety, efficiency and sustainability of the physical operations that power our global economy. Representing more than 40% of global GDP, these industries are the infrastructure of our planet, including agriculture, construction, field services, transportation, and manufacturing — and we are excited to help digitally transform their operations at scale.
Working at Samsara means you’ll help define the future of physical operations and be on a team that’s shaping an exciting array of product solutions, including Video-Based Safety, Vehicle Telematics, Apps and Driver Workflows, Equipment Monitoring, and Site Visibility. As part of a recently public company, you’ll have the autonomy and support to make an impact as we build for the long term.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
Glassdoor's Best Places to Work 2024
Best Places to Work by Built In 2024
Great Place To Work Certified™ 2023
Fast Company's Best Workplaces for Innovators 2023
Financial Times The Americas’ Fastest Growing Companies 2023
We see a profound opportunity for data to improve the safety, efficiency, and sustainability of operations, and hope you consider joining us on this exciting journey.
About the role:
As a Staff Product Designer at Samsara, you will ship designs that our customers use every day to run their operations. We’re looking for someone who is excited to shape the daily experiences of those customers across industries such as transportation and logistics, construction, food and beverage, government and more. In this role, you will be responsible for Samsara’s Design System—the backbone of our design language. You will engage cross functional partners to ensure consistency across our product surfaces, set a standard for quality that empowers your design and engineering teammates. You’ll be expected to influence strategy and ship well-crafted designs that make our customers’ operations more efficient, safe, and sustainable.
You should apply if:
- You want to impact the industries that run our world: Your efforts will result in real-world impact—helping to keep the lights on, get food into grocery stores, reduce emissions, and most importantly, ensure workers return home safely.
- You are the architect of your own career: If you put in the work, this role won’t be your last at Samsara. We set up our employees for success and have built a culture that encourages rapid career development, countless opportunities to experiment and master your craft in a hyper growth environment.
- You’re energized by our opportunity: The vision we have to digitize large sectors of the global economy requires your full focus and best efforts to bring forth creative, ambitious ideas for our customers.
- You want to be with the best: At Samsara, we win together, celebrate together and support each other. You will be surrounded by a high-caliber team that will encourage you to do your best.
Click here to learn about what we value at Samsara.
In this role, you will:
- Apply Expertise in Design Systems: You’ve got experience in building a flexible & scalable Design System across multiple devices and for a multitude of use cases. You identify opportunities for consistency, and can balance competing needs and recognize dependencies across teams.
- Showcase Strong Interaction & Visual Design skills: You thrive in the details, are expert in best practices, and exhibit solid design taste in the effort to create a clean, modern UI system. You push for meeting standards around accessibility and performance. You deeply understand our customers and leverage data to both guide your decisions and measure your success.
- Collaborate & Evangelize: The Staff Design Systems designer is a highly matrixed role, and it’s expected that you’ll work across teams to uncover needs, drive alignment, generate enthusiasm/ buy-in for design system adoption. You’re a leader when it comes to establishing and enforcing healthy processes; you’re able to drive alignment across teams, and have a POV on how to best make an impact within a dynamic organization.
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices
Minimum requirements for the role:
- 7+ years experience designing web & mobile applications
- 4+ years experience with a primary focus on design systems
- Expertise in interaction and visual design
- Expertise with Figma, particularly in how best to enable engineering and design teams for heavy component usage.
- Portfolio showcasing your craft, ability to solve user-problems, and quantified impact
An ideal candidate also has:
- Craft: Proven ability to evolve platforms with clean, modern UX & UI patterns.
- Customer-centric: Bias towards engaging with customers (internal and external) to understand needs and validate designs
- Teamwork: History of effective collaboration with cross-functional partners
- Impact: Track record of strategic influence and shipping impact
Samsara’s Compensation Philosophy: Samsara’s compensation program is designed to deliver Total Direct Compensation (based on role, level, and geography) that is at or above market. We do this through our base salary + bonus/variable + restricted stock unit awards (RSUs) for eligible roles. For eligible roles, a new hire RSU award may be awarded at the time of hire, and additional RSU refresh grants may be awarded annually.
We pay for performance, and top performers in eligible roles may receive above-market equity refresh awards which allow employees to achieve higher market positioning.
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Full time employees receive a competitive total compensation package along with employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email email@example.com or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants. As most roles are not required to be in the office, we are able to hire remotely where Samsara has an established presence. If a role is required to be in a certain location and candidates do not have work authorization for that location, Samsara will conduct an immigration assessment. If the role is not required to be in a specific location, Samsara will move forward with the remote location that works best for the business. All offers of employment are contingent upon an individual’s ability to secure and maintain the legal right to work at the company.
Please be aware that Samsara does not accept or assume responsibility for unsolicited resumes from agencies. We do not charge fees to applicants at any stage of the hiring process. Official communication about your application will only come from emails ending in '@Samsara.com' or '@us-greenhouse-mail.io'.