Senior Technical Accounting and Compliance Manager
Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations™ Cloud, which is a platform that enables organizations that depend on physical operations to harness Internet of Things (IoT) data to develop actionable insights and improve their operations. At Samsara, we are helping improve the safety, efficiency and sustainability of the physical operations that power our global economy. Representing more than 40% of global GDP, these industries are the infrastructure of our planet, including agriculture, construction, field services, transportation, and manufacturing — and we are excited to help digitally transform their operations at scale.
Working at Samsara means you’ll help define the future of physical operations and be on a team that’s shaping an exciting array of product solutions, including Video-Based Safety, Vehicle Telematics, Apps and Driver Workflows, Equipment Monitoring, and Site Visibility. As part of a recently public company, you’ll have the autonomy and support to make an impact as we build for the long term.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
Great Place To Work Certified™ 2023
Best Place to Work by Built In 2023
Financial Times The Americas’ Fastest Growing Companies 2023
Deloitte Fast 500 Companies
IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
We see a profound opportunity for data to improve the safety, efficiency, and sustainability of operations, and hope you consider joining us on this exciting journey.
About the role:
As an influential leader within the CAO organization, reporting directly to the Corporate Controller, this position will require proven project management and leadership skills in a fast-paced, collaborative environment by advising the Accounting organization on technical accounting matters and leading the implementation of step-change initiatives across a global finance organization. The Senior Manager, Technical Accounting & Compliance acts as a thought leader on a range of technical accounting and compliance-related issues and exhibits the Company’s core values and principles in interfacing with other finance and operations personnel in driving forward company initiatives. This position will make proposals and drive initiatives to improve functional excellence, implement new accounting standards, roll-out or update finance policies and procedures and ensure effective internal controls across the enterprise.
You should apply if:
- You want to impact the industries that run our world: Your efforts will result in real-world impact—helping to keep the lights on, get food into grocery stores, reduce emissions, and most importantly, ensure workers return home safely.
- You are the architect of your own career: If you put in the work, this role won’t be your last at Samsara. We set up our employees for success and have built a culture that encourages rapid career development, countless opportunities to experiment and master your craft in a hyper growth environment.
- You’re energized by our opportunity: The vision we have to digitize large sectors of the global economy requires your full focus and best efforts to bring forth creative, ambitious ideas for our customers.
- You want to be with the best: At Samsara, we win together, celebrate together and support each other. You will be surrounded by a high-caliber team that will encourage you to do your best.
Click here to learn about what we value at Samsara.
In this role, you will:
- Be a policy authority for the group finance organization through regular implementation and reviews of policies and procedures, using influential leadership skills to drive the creation, modification, review, training and execution of policies and procedures that bolster the integrity of financial accounting and reporting, mitigate business risks and interfaces effectively with business practices in a practical and sustainable manner.
- Create a policies and procedures program and ensure policies and procedures are up-to-date, communicated broadly across the group and appropriately layered into a comprehensive and robust on-boarding and training plan.
- Demonstrate proficiency in achieving consensus between opposing views and exude confidence in making tough calls when necessary. With no direct reports, the Senior Manager, Technical Accounting & Compliance values building and maintaining strong relationships across the business and proficiently leverages those relationships to drive functional objectives to completion in an environment with multiple priorities in flight.
- Own certain technical aspects of the consolidation process that may include, without limitation, corporate accounting entries related to stock-based compensation expense, derivatives and hedging, fair value measurements, and business combinations.
- Own and drive PMO responsibilities for the Company’s SOX compliance program. Liaise with internal and external auditors to ensure milestones remain on track and drives the resolution of issues arising during the course of the project’s execution. Perform planning and scoping, and owns the summary of aggregated deficiencies and works with business partners to ensure they are remediated timely.
- Log, drive and track remediation activities for operational internal audits and hold management accountable for timely remediation of audit findings. Review internal audit reports, prepare or contribute to internal communications to senior executives or audit committee regarding the status of internal audit findings subject to remediation. Assist in the SOX impact of such findings.
- Assist in the preparation or review of internal memoranda documenting management’s position on a variety of technical issues, including significant or unusual transactions, key assumptions, etc. Assist in the disposition of such issues with external auditors. Provide support to the SEC Reporting function when responding to SEC Staff comments on the Company’s periodic filings.
- Understand and anticipate emerging accounting issues that impact the business and drive the implementation of significant accounting standards and other jurisdictional rules and regulations that impact current business and accounting practices. Keep current on emerging accounting, auditing and regulatory developments from the FASB, PCAOB, SEC and other rule-making entities that impact accounting and business practices and control framework.
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s core values (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices.
- Influentially develop and motivate an inclusive, engaged, and high performing team.
Minimum requirements for the role:
- CPA license is required.
- 10 years of progressive accounting experience including Big 4 audit experience.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting is required.
An ideal candidate also has:
- An advanced degree, such as an MBA, is also highly desirable but not required.
- Private industry work experience of a publicly listed company is preferred.
- Six Sigma certification.
- Knowledge of NetSuite is also desired but not required.
We pay for performance, and top performers are eligible to receive above target equity refresh awards which allow employees to achieve higher market positioning.
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Full time employees receive an above market total compensation package along with employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants. As most roles are not required to be in the office, we are able to hire remotely where Samsara has an established presence. If a role is required to be in a certain location and candidates do not have work authorization for that location, Samsara will conduct an immigration assessment. If the role is not required to be in a specific location, Samsara will move forward with the remote location that works best for the business. All offers of employment are contingent upon an individual’s ability to secure and maintain the legal right to work at the company.
Please note: Samsara does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Samsara employees.