Senior Quality Automation Engineer - Cloud
Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations™ Cloud, which is a platform that enables organizations that depend on physical operations to harness Internet of Things (IoT) data to develop actionable insights and improve their operations. At Samsara, we are helping improve the safety, efficiency and sustainability of the physical operations that power our global economy. Representing more than 40% of global GDP, these industries are the infrastructure of our planet, including agriculture, construction, field services, transportation, and manufacturing — and we are excited to help digitally transform their operations at scale.
Working at Samsara means you’ll help define the future of physical operations and be on a team that’s shaping an exciting array of product solutions, including Video-Based Safety, Vehicle Telematics, Apps and Driver Workflows, Equipment Monitoring, and Site Visibility. As part of a recently public company, you’ll have the autonomy and support to make an impact as we build for the long term.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
Great Place To Work Certified™ 2023
Best Place to Work by Built In 2023
Financial Times The Americas’ Fastest Growing Companies 2023
Deloitte Fast 500 Companies
IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
We see a profound opportunity for data to improve the safety, efficiency, and sustainability of operations, and hope you consider joining us on this exciting journey.
About the role:
The Cloud Quality Engineering team works with product teams across Samsara to ensure mobile, web, and API products function with high quality. We also seek to cultivate a quality culture that produces best in class product reliability, usability, and performance across all of our product development teams.
We're looking for a self-driven, experienced QE for our team who has a real passion for quality, and strives to innovate and try new things, incorporating continuous improvement of testing methods. Someone who has the quality mindset and can find all the ways to ensure our products are high quality and has the motivation and experience to automate tests to make it easy to catch bugs quickly.
You should apply if:
- You want to impact the industries that run our world: The software, firmware, and hardware you build will result in real-world impact—helping to keep the lights on, get food into grocery stores, and most importantly, ensure workers return home safely.
- You want to build for scale: With over 2.3 million IoT devices deployed to our global customers, you will work on a range of new and mature technologies driving scalable innovation for customers across industries driving the world's physical operations.
- You are a life-long learner: We have ambitious goals. Every Samsarian has a growth mindset as we work with a wide range of technologies, challenges, and customers that push us to learn on the go.
- You believe customers are more than a number: Samsara engineers enjoy a rare closeness to the end user and you will have the opportunity to participate in customer interviews, collaborate with customer success and product managers, and use metrics to ensure our work is translating into better customer outcomes.
- You are a team player: Working on our Samsara Engineering teams requires a mix of independent effort and collaboration. Motivated by our mission, we’re all racing toward our connected operations vision, and we intend to win—together.
Click here to learn about what we value at Samsara.
In this role, you will:
- Be a part of a development team, quickly understand the product, the architecture and come up with a plan to test/validate functionality, and identify and target weaknesses
- Be a part of the development process, collaborating with the engineering and product teams to discover details of proposed functionality, spotting gaps/conflicts and understanding upcoming work
- Rapidly diagnose issues and perform root cause analysis with backend, mobile, and fullstack developers
- Execute manual and automated test plans across the backend, mobile and web
- Develop test fixtures using a hands-on approach to shift from a manual end-to-end testing environment to an automated one.
- Design, write and deliver high quality test fixtures, frameworks and build tools to production standards as part of team sprints
- Document, structure and maintain automated test cases and code used for test execution
- Track performance, report results to management, drive issues to closure
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices
Minimum requirements for the role:
- 7+ years of experience in a quality engineering function.
- 3+ years of experience in developing test suites using QA automation tools like Selenium, Cypress etc.
- Proficiency with programming and querying languages: Python, SQL
- Proven abilities for effective troubleshooting, debugging and perform root cause analysis
- Strong communication skills, comfortable working with distributed teams from diverse backgrounds
An ideal candidate also has:
- Experience working in teams operating in the IOT domain
- Experience creating automation frameworks and automating products across multiple surfaces: mobile, web, and API.
- Proficiency with programming and querying languages: GoLang
We pay for performance, and top performers are eligible to receive above target equity refresh awards which allow employees to achieve higher market positioning.
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Full time employees receive an above market total compensation package along with employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants. As most roles are not required to be in the office, we are able to hire remotely where Samsara has an established presence. If a role is required to be in a certain location and candidates do not have work authorization for that location, Samsara will conduct an immigration assessment. If the role is not required to be in a specific location, Samsara will move forward with the remote location that works best for the business. All offers of employment are contingent upon an individual’s ability to secure and maintain the legal right to work at the company.
Please note: Samsara does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Samsara employees.