Senior Staff Engineer - Embedded System
Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations™ Cloud, which is a platform that enables organizations that depend on physical operations to harness Internet of Things (IoT) data to develop actionable insights and improve their operations. At Samsara, we are helping improve the safety, efficiency and sustainability of the physical operations that power our global economy. Representing more than 40% of global GDP, these industries are the infrastructure of our planet, including agriculture, construction, field services, transportation, and manufacturing — and we are excited to help digitally transform their operations at scale.
Working at Samsara means you’ll help define the future of physical operations and be on a team that’s shaping an exciting array of product solutions, including Video-Based Safety, Vehicle Telematics, Apps and Driver Workflows, Equipment Monitoring, and Site Visibility. As part of a recently public company, you’ll have the autonomy and support to make an impact as we build for the long term.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
Great Place To Work Certified™ 2023
Best Place to Work by Built In 2023
Financial Times The Americas’ Fastest Growing Companies 2023
Deloitte Fast 500 Companies
IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
We see a profound opportunity for data to improve the safety, efficiency, and sustainability of operations, and hope you consider joining us on this exciting journey.
About the role:
We are seeking a Senior Staff Engineer to provide technical leadership to our Edge Software team. This team owns and operates the software that runs on Samsara’s millions of IOT devices, capturing the sensor data that enables us to make the world of physical operations safer, more efficient, and more sustainable.
You should apply if:
- You want to impact the industries that run our world: The software, firmware, and hardware you build will result in real-world impact—helping to keep the lights on, get food into grocery stores, and most importantly, ensure workers return home safely.
- You want to build for scale: With over 2.3 million IoT devices deployed to our global customers, you will work on a range of new and mature technologies driving scalable innovation for customers across industries driving the world's physical operations.
- You are a life-long learner: We have ambitious goals. Every Samsarian has a growth mindset as we work with a wide range of technologies, challenges, and customers that push us to learn on the go.
- You believe customers are more than a number: Samsara engineers enjoy a rare closeness to the end user and you will have the opportunity to participate in customer interviews, collaborate with customer success and product managers, and use metrics to ensure our work is translating into better customer outcomes.
- You are a team player: Working on our Samsara Engineering teams requires a mix of independent effort and collaboration. Motivated by our mission, we’re all racing toward our connected operations vision, and we intend to win—together.
Click here to learn about what we value at Samsara.
In this role, you will:
- Influence a team of over 75 engineers on our Vehicle Gateway and Dashcam products, guiding architectural decisions, improving quality, and owning key aspects of our tech stack.
- Mentor other engineers on the team, helping us raise our technical standards.
- Assist in defining key aspects of our roadmap, including tooling and release infrastructure, automated test strategy. We operate significant AI algorithms on the edge, and you will play a key role ensuring their accuracy and that they run within the constraints of the devices.
- Partner closely with our Hardware team in defining and building next generation devices that can support the company’s objectives.
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices
Minimum Requirements for the role
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related field.
- 15+ years of relevant experience in firmware development, preferably with a focus on embedded Linux systems
- Strong experience in programming with C, Golang, or similar.
- Proven experience defining and implementing firmware architecture
- A desire to mentor and grow engineers of all levels
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to work with senior executives as well as junior engineers
- Commitment to rigorous testing & validation practices.
An ideal candidate also has:
- Experience with one or more of the following technologies: Vehicle Telematics technologies, such as CAN, Edge Camera Systems, Video Capture, Video Encoding, Embedded AI
- Experience working with teams across multiple disciplines, including Cloud Software, Computer Vision, and Hardware
- Experience with setting team/organizational goals and standards
- Familiarity with a diverse set of quality/testing practices, continuous integration tooling, etc
We pay for performance, and top performers are eligible to receive above target equity refresh awards which allow employees to achieve higher market positioning.
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Full time employees receive an above market total compensation package along with employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants. As most roles are not required to be in the office, we are able to hire remotely where Samsara has an established presence. If a role is required to be in a certain location and candidates do not have work authorization for that location, Samsara will conduct an immigration assessment. If the role is not required to be in a specific location, Samsara will move forward with the remote location that works best for the business. All offers of employment are contingent upon an individual’s ability to secure and maintain the legal right to work at the company.
Please note: Samsara does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Samsara employees.