Senior Software Engineer, API Platform
Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations™ Cloud, which is a platform that enables organizations that depend on physical operations to harness Internet of Things (IoT) data to develop actionable insights and improve their operations. At Samsara, we are helping improve the safety, efficiency and sustainability of the physical operations that power our global economy. Representing more than 40% of global GDP, these industries are the infrastructure of our planet, including agriculture, construction, field services, transportation, and manufacturing — and we are excited to help digitally transform their operations at scale.
Working at Samsara means you’ll help define the future of physical operations and be on a team that’s shaping an exciting array of product solutions, including Video-Based Safety, Vehicle Telematics, Apps and Driver Workflows, Equipment Monitoring, and Site Visibility. As part of a recently public company, you’ll have the autonomy and support to make an impact as we build for the long term.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
Great Place To Work Certified™ 2023
Best Place to Work by Built In 2023
Financial Times The Americas’ Fastest Growing Companies 2023
Deloitte Fast 500 Companies
IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
We see a profound opportunity for data to improve the safety, efficiency, and sustainability of operations, and hope you consider joining us on this exciting journey.
About the role:
Samsara is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join the API Platform team. API Platform owns and evolves the infrastructure that all of Samsara’s services are built upon, from our GraphQL platform and central databases to Samsara’s shared caching and data subscription framework. Every single operation at Samsara goes through our systems in one way or another, and you will have the opportunity to work with data at massive scale - hundreds of millions of requests per day. You will play a key role in improving the scalability, robustness, and observability of our systems, as well as innovate on tooling to expedite service development across all development teams. Come help us make a major impact across every software team at Samsara.
You should apply if:
- You want to impact the industries that run our world: The software you build will result in real-world impact—helping to keep the lights on, get food into grocery stores, and most importantly, ensure workers return home safely.
- You want to build for scale: With over 2.3 million IoT devices deployed to our global customers, you will work on a range of new and mature technologies driving scalable innovation for customers across industries driving the world's physical operations.
- You are a life-long learner: We have ambitious goals. Every Samsarian has a growth mindset as we work with a wide range of technologies, challenges, and customers that push us to learn on the go.
- You believe customers are more than a number: Samsara engineers enjoy a rare closeness to the end user and you will have the opportunity to participate in customer interviews, collaborate with customer success and product managers, and use metrics to ensure our work is translating into better customer outcomes.
- You are a team player: Working on our Samsara Engineering teams requires a mix of independent effort and collaboration. Motivated by our mission, we’re all racing toward our connected operations vision, and we intend to win—together.
Click here to learn about what we value at Samsara.
In this role, you will:
- Build the platform to scale our service architecture by orders of magnitude
- Research and deeply understand the needs of our customers (both internal and external)
- Guide projects from concept, to ideation, to implementation, to feedback and improvements
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices
Minimum requirements for the role:
- 4+ years of experience working professionally with modern development practices
- Strong programming/coding skills in a modern language such as Java, C#, Python, or Golang
- Experience designing and architecting robust, large-scale systems
- A bias for “the right way” versus “the quick way”
- A focus on and desire to mentor fellow engineers
- An ability to estimate, communicate, and deliver upon project milestones with your team
- Proactively identifying problems and opportunities, and suggesting solutions. This team doesn’t wait for instructions. We choose our own path.
An ideal candidate also has:
- Experience or interest in any or all of: GraphQL, gRPC, Redis, Kafka, Kinesis, ElasticSearch, any similar technologies
- Experience with technologies and techniques for robust service architectures: rate limiting, load shedding, circuit breakers, blue/green and canary deployments, security, performance testing, audit trails, service meshes, or any others
- Interest in continually improving team processes, backed by a strong experience on efficient, self-directed teams
- In-depth experience working with public cloud providers such as AWS, Azure or GCP
- Adept at building and using observability tools, frameworks, and standard
We pay for performance, and top performers are eligible to receive above target equity refresh awards which allow employees to achieve higher market positioning.
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Full time employees receive an above market total compensation package along with employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants. As most roles are not required to be in the office, we are able to hire remotely where Samsara has an established presence. If a role is required to be in a certain location and candidates do not have work authorization for that location, Samsara will conduct an immigration assessment. If the role is not required to be in a specific location, Samsara will move forward with the remote location that works best for the business. All offers of employment are contingent upon an individual’s ability to secure and maintain the legal right to work at the company.
Please note: Samsara does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Samsara employees.