Senior Product Manager - Vehicle Data Platform
Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations™ Cloud, which is a platform that enables organizations that depend on physical operations to harness Internet of Things (IoT) data to develop actionable insights and improve their operations. At Samsara, we are helping improve the safety, efficiency and sustainability of the physical operations that power our global economy. Representing more than 40% of global GDP, these industries are the infrastructure of our planet, including agriculture, construction, field services, transportation, and manufacturing — and we are excited to help digitally transform their operations at scale.
Working at Samsara means you’ll help define the future of physical operations and be on a team that’s shaping an exciting array of product solutions, including Video-Based Safety, Vehicle Telematics, Apps and Driver Workflows, Equipment Monitoring, and Site Visibility. As part of a recently public company, you’ll have the autonomy and support to make an impact as we build for the long term.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
Great Place To Work Certified™ 2023
Best Place to Work by Built In 2023
Financial Times The Americas’ Fastest Growing Companies 2023
Deloitte Fast 500 Companies
IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
We see a profound opportunity for data to improve the safety, efficiency, and sustainability of operations, and hope you consider joining us on this exciting journey.
About the role:
Telematics is Samsara’s second largest (and original) business. Our product is used by customers of all sizes and in a variety of industries throughout the US, Canada, Mexico, and Europe. We help customers manage their fleet operations, with real-time tracking and data gathered from vehicles (and sensors) in the field and ingested into our cloud-based platform. Through features spanning routing, maintenance, fuel management, electrification and sustainability, analytics/reporting, mobile device management, compliance with ELD regulations, and extensive 3rd party integrations with our APIs, we are the comprehensive solution and platform for the world of physical operations.
In this role, you will be responsible for roadmap, execution, and innovation within our Vehicle Data Platform group – leveraging data from vehicle systems and connected devices across Samsara’s 1.2M+ vehicle gateways in the field. Your team’s capabilities are the foundation for driving a wide range of products built on top of this data (e.g. Maintenance, Sustainable Fleet/EV Management features, etc).
We are looking for a technical Product Manager with a deep interest (and ideally prior experience) in automotive architecture and communication networks. You’re someone who likes a challenge, leverages a data-driven and analytical approach in your work, can comfortably work through uncertainty, and stays focused on making forward progress toward your goals. You’re also curious about how vehicle market trends and downstream product use cases can inform your roadmap. Together, we are helping customers enhance their fleet operations, and your passion & advocacy for customer needs is something you infuse into all of your work.
You should apply if:
- You want to impact the industries that run our world: Your efforts will result in real-world impact—helping to keep the lights on, get food into grocery stores, reduce emissions, and most importantly, ensure workers return home safely.
- You are the architect of your own career: If you put in the work, this role won’t be your last at Samsara. We set up our employees for success and have built a culture that encourages rapid career development, countless opportunities to experiment and master your craft in a hyper growth environment.
- You’re energized by our opportunity: The vision we have to digitize large sectors of the global economy requires your full focus and best efforts to bring forth creative, ambitious ideas for our customers.
- You want to be with the best: At Samsara, we win together, celebrate together and support each other. You will be surrounded by a high-caliber team that will encourage you to do your best.
Click here to learn about what we value at Samsara.
In this role, you will:
- Own and evolve the capabilities and roadmap for the vehicle systems data that we process, supporting a variety of product features and offerings.
- Deeply understand and advocate for all the ways this data can be used throughout the Samsara product portfolio and customer use cases.
- Collaborate with downstream product teams who depend on your team’s data & capabilities. Manage a robust “intake” process to understand vehicle data platform needs and factor those into your priorities.
- Be accountable for continuously improving both the coverage and quality of the vehicle data we’re ingesting.
- Make data-driven decisions to prioritize and close gaps in supported vehicle data. Be proactive in tracking vehicle market share trends in our operating geos and in customer fleets.
- Drive vehicle data insights that can be surfaced both internally and to customers, including support for predictive maintenance models and other use cases that combine vehicle data and machine learning.
- Collaborate with Engineering to drive the team’s quarterly release plans and long-term roadmap.
- Communicate across product line leadership to share your roadmap, evangelize your priorities, and seek out areas of joint innovation.
- Partner with customer-facing teams to close strategic accounts, resolve escalations, and maintain relationships with top customers.
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices
Minimum requirements for the role:
- Strong understanding of how to build for enterprise-scale.
- Strong technical understanding, with an ability to grasp technical concepts & establish credibility with engineers.
- A proven track-record of delivering outstanding results for customers & the business, managing significant complexity and bold timelines. You also have a bias-to-action and aren’t afraid to get your hands dirty.
- Demonstrated experience defining and executing product roadmap for technical areas, and using analytics/data to measure progress toward goals and make investment choices.
- Excellent communication skills. Must be comfortable presenting to customers and internal audiences, including senior executives.
- 5+ years of job experience, in relevant product, technical, and/or business roles.
- BS / MS degree in Computer Science or equivalent professional experience (i.e. software engineering experience).
An ideal candidate also has:
- Experience working in the telematics and/or automotive space.
- Technical familiarity with automotive communication protocols and vehicle onboard diagnostics systems.
- Experience managing firmware-based features.
We pay for performance, and top performers are eligible to receive above target equity refresh awards which allow employees to achieve higher market positioning.
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Full time employees receive an above market total compensation package along with employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants. As most roles are not required to be in the office, we are able to hire remotely where Samsara has an established presence. If a role is required to be in a certain location and candidates do not have work authorization for that location, Samsara will conduct an immigration assessment. If the role is not required to be in a specific location, Samsara will move forward with the remote location that works best for the business. All offers of employment are contingent upon an individual’s ability to secure and maintain the legal right to work at the company.
Please note: Samsara does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Samsara employees.