Senior Software Engineer
Posit creates software that helps people understand data and make better decisions in real-world applications. Our core offering is an open-source data science toolchain used by millions worldwide, and we aim to make it available to everyone, regardless of their economic means.
We’re a Certified B Corporation®, which means we’ve written our open-source mission into our corporate charter. Our commercial products support this work, which helps data scientists manage their work and share the results with others.
About the Role
We’re looking for a DevOps-focused Software Engineer to join our Platform team. The team works across all of the Posit products, working on cloud deployments, common engineering services, and developer team productivity. This is a high-leverage team that can impact many people and customers.
In this position, you’ll primarily be working on key Infrastructure as Code (IaC) initiatives including Dockerfiles, Helm charts, and Cloud Marketplace deployments. There will also be the occasional requirement to work on some smaller Go software projects, such as product licensing. We utilize IaC tools like Pulumi and Terraform for managing cloud compute resources and Packer for generating Marketplace (AWS, Azure, and GCP) images. We make extensive use of both Jenkins and GitHub Actions for CI/CD. We don’t expect you to be an expert in all of these technologies and are happy to provide guidance and the time necessary to learn technologies that you do not already know. On-call is not required for this position.
What you will own:
- Development and delivery of key IaC projects. You will receive help from many people on this, but we want you to own the implementation details.
- Advocacy for increased usage of automation and IaC practices within the organization to support our continued scaling.
What you will help with:
- Guiding infrastructure projects through the full software development lifecycle from refinement through support. You will work with the team to ensure we deliver high-quality software and engage with our customers via our asynchronous support channels to continuously improve the products by taking customer feedback into consideration.
- Prioritization of enhancements and bug-fixes to ensure that we are always delivering the most value to our customers.
- Improving the development process to ensure that it is a seamless and enjoyable experience for all members of the team.
- How to work with many different teams within the organization. We work a lot with other teams and can act as a connective glue between teams. To be effective, you will need to learn from these other teams, especially the site reliability engineering team.
What you will teach us:
- Infrastructure best practices. It could be something you learned last week or years ago. It could be on how to write better Infrastructure as Code (IaC) or how to debug containers better. We are a team that keeps improving, and we want to learn from you.
What you will learn:
- Languages and technologies we use that you don’t already know. We do expect you to have proficiency in one programming language and advanced knowledge of one IaC technology, but you will also have the opportunity to learn what you don't know.
- An appreciation for data science workflows, and some of the tools and methodologies used by data scientists.
- The Posit products and how they empower our customers to do effective data science.
- The customer experience of deploying our products and how to better improve the experience by prioritizing specific customer feedback.
- How to increase leverage of other teams by making their workflows more efficient and automated.
Within one month, you will…
- Get to know everyone on the team and get familiar with our current development strategies.
- Follow our onboarding guide and suggest improvements.
- Work on your first feature request and open a handful of pull requests for review.
Within three months, you will…
- See your code changes reflected in our current product versions.
- Participate in feature planning and provide feedback.
- Feel comfortable with the repository layouts and begin understanding how things fit together.
Within six months, you will...
- Add your name to our list of ownership areas and learn more about these topics.
- Have understood our customers enough from escalations and tickets so that you can advocate for them in grooming.
- Teach the team lessons from your previous experiences.
Within a year, you will…
- Consult regularly with product teams to improve their day-to-day workflows and influence their roadmaps.
- Plan features and drive their development.
- Point to parts of the products that you have significantly contributed to.
Working at Posit:
- We welcome all talented colleagues and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- We prioritize giving ourselves “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at Posit.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model: We have over 50% of our engineering dedicated to creating free and open source software. We are profitable and we plan to be around decades from now.
- Posit is a Public Benefit Corporation (PBC) and a Certified B Corporation®, which means our open-source mission is codified into our charter. As a result, our corporate decisions balance the community's interests, customers, employees, and shareholders. Hear more about why we think this matters here.
We offer competitive compensation with extensive human-first, people-focused benefits to prioritize your personal and financial well-being.
- 100% of medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums are covered for employees and their families! Fertility and gender-affirming healthcare is included in all of our plans.
- Supplemental mental health and wellness benefits are available via Ginger even if you don’t opt in to our insurance plans, including Ginger for teen family members.
- Posit's gender-neutral paid parental leave policy covers all new parents, including foster and adoptive parents.
- All full-time employees are eligible for 401k enrollment starting on day one.
- After six months of employment, Posit provides a substantial yearly match to employee 401K contributions.
- An annual profit-sharing bonus for employees recognizes our team’s contributions to company performance across the year.
- We are a 100% distributed team. You are also welcome to come into our Boston office.
- We offer a $400 monthly reimbursement for coworking space rental if you prefer to work away from home.
- Our Lifestyle Savings Account offers an initial deposit of $1800 and then an additional quarterly stipend of $375 to cover the costs of professional development, wellness, financial health, charitable giving, and remote work support.
- We provide a flexible environment with a generous vacation policy that encourages a minimum of four weeks PTO per year plus 13 paid company holidays.
Are you excited about this role but not sure if your experience aligns with every qualification in the job description? That’s okay. We know multiple perspectives are essential for a thriving organization and we'd still love to hear from you!
Posit is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.