Senior Engineering Manager
Senior Engineering Manager
About the role
Posit is seeking an engineering manager to drive software delivery and coach the talented, dedicated team working on our professional publishing products, including Posit Connect. You will be leading both people and process from this position, and you will have direct impact on the design, execution, and quality of one of Posit’s most powerful product suites.
Posit Connect delivers value to businesses by empowering data scientists to rapidly deploy custom reports and applications. These artifacts, written in Python, R, Quarto, and more, allow data scientists to tell stories with data and solve real-world problems. Connect solves the challenges of putting code into production, such as environment management and authentication, without requiring constant intervention from administrators. In this role, you will lead and empower a team of engineers working to make Connect even more useful and valuable to its users, as well as extending its reach into new markets.
What you will own
- Managing a team of individual contributors and leading them in shipping value to our customers
- Maintaining the software development process, identifying and eliminating bottlenecks to empower the team to deliver with the least amount of friction
- Supporting the humans on the team, helping them to grow and flourish
What you will help with
- Collaborating with product management and technical leads to scope and plan projects and maintain the roadmap
- Working with QA leadership and other stakeholders to ensure that we set and meet our high quality standards
- Communicating about progress and obstacles across engineering teams in the company
What you will teach us
- New perspectives on how to organize and design processes that help us deliver the best quality software in a way that also is sustainable for the humans involved
- Effective communication styles, both within the team, as in specifications and requirements docs, and with stakeholders, as in translating between user needs and technical work breakdowns
What you will learn
- A deeper understanding of cloud computing and integrations, particularly how they relate to data science workflows
- Differences between delivering a product that runs on premises versus a SaaS product and the implications of that difference for the development process
- The Posit products, both open-source and commercial, and how they empower our customers to do effective data science through code
Within one month, you will…
- Get to know everyone on the product team and become familiar with our current software development practices
- Dig into our issue backlog and product strategy and start connecting the dots
- Start building relationships with your direct reports to understand their goals and how they align to the team’s objectives
Within three months, you will…
- Facilitate our regular cadence of software development and delivery, identifying ways to improve our workflows and processes
- Successfully guide the delivery of a high impact project
- Participate in planning and roadmapping to help the team identify our best opportunities
- Establish trust with your direct reports, be familiar with their individual growth plans, and start looking for opportunities to enable their ongoing career development
Within twelve months, you will…
- Coordinate major initiatives that span across multiple teams in the organization
- Give tactical guidance on how best to deliver complex projects
- Provide career development resources; grow leadership and enable technical achievement across the team
- Empathetic: you enjoy seeing your team realize their full potential, individually and collectively, and appreciate that cultivating these relationships takes time and intention.
- Technical: you are comfortable diving into the code to understand how things work. Even if you are not an expert in the language or domain, your prior experience writing software helps you to find the right question to ask that can unblock the experts on your team.
- Product-minded: while you enjoy solving technical challenges and mentoring people, the best part is doing that in the service of delighting your product’s users. You don’t lose sight of the “why”. It’s not required that you have worked in data science, devops, or other fields that our users come from, but prior experience with the product space will help you get up to speed quicker.
- Organized: you enjoy developing and maintaining systems that ensure that the team nails the details and that things don’t fall through the cracks.
- Pragmatic: you’ve experienced what works well and what doesn’t, but you know that there’s no magic recipe for fostering a healthy, productive team. You listen to understand and then collaborate with your team on solutions that work in the current context.
- Curious: you’re driven to learn new things and continuously improve.
Working at Posit:
- We welcome all talented colleagues and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- We prioritize giving ourselves “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at Posit.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model: We have over 50% of our engineering dedicated to creating free and open source software. We are profitable and we plan to be around decades from now.
- Posit is a Public Benefit Corporation (PBC) and a Certified B Corporation®, which means our open-source mission is codified into our charter. As a result, our corporate decisions balance the community's interests, customers, employees, and shareholders. Hear more about why we think this matters here.
We offer competitive compensation with extensive human-first, people-focused benefits to prioritize your personal and financial well-being.
- 100% of medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums are covered for employees and their families! Fertility and gender-affirming healthcare is included in all of our plans.
- Supplemental mental health and wellness benefits are available via Ginger even if you don’t opt in to our insurance plans, including Ginger for teen family members.
- Posit's gender-neutral paid parental leave policy covers all new parents, including foster and adoptive parents.
- All full-time employees are eligible for 401k enrollment starting on day one.
- After six months of employment, Posit provides a substantial yearly match to employee 401K contributions.
- An annual profit-sharing bonus for employees recognizes our team’s contributions to company performance across the year.
- We are a 100% distributed team. You are also welcome to come into our Boston office.
- We offer a $400 monthly reimbursement for coworking space rental if you prefer to work away from home.
- Our Lifestyle Savings Account offers an initial deposit of $1800 and then an additional quarterly stipend of $375 to cover the costs of professional development, wellness, financial health, charitable giving, and remote work support.
- We provide a flexible environment with a generous vacation policy that encourages a minimum of four weeks PTO per year plus 13 paid company holidays.
Are you excited about this role but not sure if your experience aligns with every qualification in the job description? That’s okay. We know multiple perspectives are essential for a thriving organization and we'd still love to hear from you!
Posit is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.