Posit (formerly RStudio) creates great software that helps people understand data and make better decisions in real-world applications. Our core offering is an open source data science platform, and we aim to make it available to everyone, regardless of their economic means.
Posit is looking for a Data Scientist to join the Center of Excellence team to help deliver data-driven business decision making and deliver exceptional experiences to customers. This is a unique opportunity to grow the data science foundation working for a company that’s all about Data Science. You will work with Posit’s open-source and professional tools to transform raw data, build analyses and models, optimize campaigns and sales efforts, all the way up to designing and deploying executive and board dashboards. This is a critical role in helping Posit learn more about our business so that we can do a better job delivering on our mission.
What you’ll own:
- Lead end-to-end data projects include data collection and transformation, generating insights, determining recommendations creating a positive impact, and verbal/written communication to stakeholders.
- Own the creation, deployment, and iteration of code-based descriptive and predictive models of customer behavior tailored to specific business needs.
- Develop and maintain comprehensive dashboards and reports for stakeholders using tools such as Shiny and Quarto to communicate the health of different aspects of the business.
- Identify and troubleshoot data errors and discrepancies from various sources.
- Drive strategic projects that align with the overall vision and long-term goals of the company.
What you’ll assist with:
- Work closely with executive leadership on setting long term goals with clear deliverables and making action plans to realize them.
- Collaborate on initiatives to optimize data processes, models, and reporting across the organization.
What you’ll teach:
- Educate non-technical stakeholders on interpretation of insights from data, ensuring a shared understanding of key metrics and insights.
- Share knowledge on industry best practices, tools, and methodologies with team members and stakeholders.
- Mentor other team members fostering a culture of continuous learning and collaboration.
What you’ll learn:
- Gain in-depth knowledge of the Sales, Customer Success, Marketing, and Finance landscapes, along with the specific needs and challenges of our organization.
- Continued development of your data science toolset with exposure to tools and analytical techniques tailored for our business environment.
- Learn to align analytical approaches with strategic business objectives, contributing to data-driven decision making throughout the company.
- Work alongside talented professionals and business executives across diverse functions, learning from their expertise and contributing your own.
- You are humble, kind, curious, and people smart
- 3+ years of direct experience in a data science role, ideally working in a growth SaaS company with hands-on experience specific to sales, marketing, and finance data
- Hands-on experience developing, debugging, and improving models in R or Python
- You are comfortable with version control and prioritize its usage across various projects
- You are highly organized, self-motivated and able to adapt to changing priorities, with strong critical thinking and project management skills
- You enjoy working with cross-functional teams, and understand trade-offs in goals and investments of resources
- Willingness and desire to work in a fast-paced and high growth environment
- You are able to communicate complex ideas in a straightforward, engaging and informative way, that demonstrates empathy for customer struggles and challenges
- You are able to use code to create meaningful reports and dashboards from messy data sources
- Proficient in using R or Python for data wrangling, visualization, modeling, and communicating information with stakeholders
Within 1 month:
- Familiarize yourself with the core functions of Sales, Customer Success, Marketing, and Finance teams, as well as our products, markets, and customers.
- Learn about our data environment including key sources of data and business context of how data is collected, stored, and used for decision making.
- Start conducting exploratory data analysis on relevant datasets to gain insights into business trends.
- Develop relationships and gain familiarity with cross-functional teams, including attending meetings to understand the data needs and critical challenges of various departments.
Within 3 months:
- Implement robust data collection and cleaning procedures to ensure data quality and accessibility.
- Build initial analyses and models to assist key business functions including Sales, Customer Success, Marketing, and Finance.
- Develop interactive dashboards and reports for key stakeholders using visualization tools.
- Continue working closely with the supported departments to refine and align on priorities and OKRs.
Within 6 months:
- Deploy and iterate on the models developed, ensuring alignment with business goals and incorporating feedback.
- Initiate more advanced analytical projects tailored to drive success in key business functions.
- Regularly engage with stakeholders to review findings, gather feedback, and provide recommendations.
Within 12 months:
- Drive strategic projects that have a substantial impact on business objectives.
- Mentor team members and lead project teams.
- Identify and lead initiatives to optimize data processes, models, and reporting.
- Grow the level of influence of data science in the organization by scaling models across different markets or segments, translating successes from one area to broader company applications.
Working at Posit:
- We welcome all talented colleagues and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- We prioritize giving ourselves “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at Posit.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model: We have over 50% of our engineering dedicated to creating free and open source software. We are profitable and we plan to be around decades from now.
- Posit is a Public Benefit Corporation (PBC) and a Certified B Corporation®, which means our open-source mission is codified into our charter. As a result, our corporate decisions balance the community's interests, customers, employees, and shareholders. Hear more about why we think this matters here.
We offer competitive compensation with extensive human-first, people-focused benefits to prioritize your personal and financial well-being.
- 100% of medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums are covered for employees and their families! Fertility and gender-affirming healthcare is included in all of our plans.
- Supplemental mental health and wellness benefits are available via Ginger even if you don’t opt in to our insurance plans, including Ginger for teen family members.
- Posit's gender-neutral paid parental leave policy covers all new parents, including foster and adoptive parents.
- All full-time employees are eligible for 401k enrollment starting on day one.
- After six months of employment, Posit provides a substantial yearly match to employee 401K contributions.
- An annual profit-sharing bonus for employees recognizes our team’s contributions to company performance across the year.
- We are a 100% distributed team. You are also welcome to come into our Boston office.
- We offer a $400 monthly reimbursement for coworking space rental if you prefer to work away from home.
- Our Lifestyle Savings Account offers an initial deposit of $1800 and then an additional quarterly stipend of $375 to cover the costs of professional development, wellness, financial health, charitable giving, and remote work support.
- We provide a flexible environment with a generous vacation policy that encourages a minimum of four weeks PTO per year plus 13 paid company holidays.
Are you excited about this role but not sure if your experience aligns with every qualification in the job description? That’s okay. We know multiple perspectives are essential for a thriving organization and we'd still love to hear from you!
Posit is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.