Posit creates great software that helps people understand data and make better decisions in real-world applications. Our core offering is an open source data science toolchain, and we aim to make it available to everyone, regardless of their economic means.
About the Role
As a member of the Corporate Accounting team, you will be working in a fast-paced environment while building relationships within the accounting team and the larger organization. The Senior Accountant is responsible for many aspects of general ledger-related activities including ensuring proper application of US GAAP when recording accruals and other journal entries and preparing balance sheet account reconciliations. In addition, the role will be involved in the preparation of internal management reporting and analyses as well the creation of schedules for the annual audit, participate in ensuring proper internal control compliance and interact with our external auditors. We are looking for someone who has excellent problem solving skills, is a strong communicator, thrives on process improvement, and enjoys working in a fast–paced environment to support our continued success.
What you will own:
- Prepares journal entries, performs account reconciliations and analysis, and prepares schedules for internal and external reporting.
- Researches and resolves un-reconciled amounts on a timely basis. Assists with review of monthly, quarterly and year-end financial statements.
- Works with various groups and functions to facilitate continuous process improvements and gaining efficiencies.
- Assists in implementing appropriate accounting practices and internal controls. Contributes to the accuracy and efficiency improvements in the closing process.
- Assists with documenting, creating, developing and maintaining processes, policies and procedures.
- Assists with system upgrades for financial systems as needed and actively participates on special projects as assigned.
- Prepares and reviews supporting schedules for annual audit and tax compliance.
- Participates in various department-wide initiatives.
- Experience with ERP, expense processing, and tax related systems
- Solid understanding of the financial closing process and monthly/quarterly cycles
- Strong technical background in accounting and GAAP principles with a broad knowledge of financial transaction flows
- Highly organized and detail oriented, excellent time management, analytical, communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritize and work independently as well as willingness to meet business critical deadlines
What you will help with:
- Improving the close process and reducing days to close
- Audit and tax compliance management
- Working with FP&A to ensure forecasts and budgets are accurate and transactions are understood
What you will teach us:
- Assist with internal control assessment and improvements
- Own and assist in balance sheet account reconciliations
- Own self starter with great communication skills
What you will learn:
- Learn the business, transactions and systems to ensure problems are identified and resolved
- Collaborate with colleagues and other departments
- Open to feedback for continuous learning
Within 1 month, you’ll…
- Validate balance sheet reconciliations and review any findings with the team
- Verify backup is appropriate and anyone could pick up the journal entry and understand what was done and why
- Setup meet and greet with every team member in finance to understand what they do and establish a relationship
Within 3 months, you’ll…
- Identify process improvement opportunities and implement to shorter close
- Manage the audit by ensuring requests are handed out to correct staff to complete, verify the completed request/documentation and load onto their website
- Communicate issues timely and effectively
- Assist the accounting manager with special projects
Within 6 months, you’ll…
- Own and manage special projects
- Collaborate with other members of the finance group to improve the overall function of the team and identify any changes that could benefit the department and company
- Feel comfortable with the processes and systems in the department including but not limited to AP, AR, Revenue Recognition
Within 12 months, you’ll…
- Be able to own and manage the majority of the month end close
- Be proactive by identifying bottlenecks and provide solutions for a fast growing department that will maintain our integrity with our internal and external parties
- Be a mentor and leader to team members
Working at Posit:
- We welcome all talented colleagues and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- We prioritize giving ourselves “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at Posit.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model: We have over 50% of our engineering dedicated to creating free and open source software. We are profitable and we plan to be around decades from now.
- Posit is a Public Benefit Corporation (PBC) and a Certified B Corporation®, which means our open-source mission is codified into our charter. As a result, our corporate decisions balance the community's interests, customers, employees, and shareholders. Hear more about why we think this matters here.
We offer competitive compensation with extensive human-first, people-focused benefits to prioritize your personal and financial well-being.
- 100% of medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums are covered for employees and their families! Fertility and gender-affirming healthcare is included in all of our plans.
- Supplemental mental health and wellness benefits are available via Ginger even if you don’t opt in to our insurance plans, including Ginger for teen family members.
- Posit's gender-neutral paid parental leave policy covers all new parents, including foster and adoptive parents.
- All full-time employees are eligible for 401k enrollment starting on day one.
- After six months of employment, Posit provides a substantial yearly match to employee 401K contributions.
- An annual profit-sharing bonus for employees recognizes our team’s contributions to company performance across the year.
- We are a 100% distributed team. You are also welcome to come into our Boston office.
- We offer a $400 monthly reimbursement for coworking space rental if you prefer to work away from home.
- Our Lifestyle Savings Account offers an initial deposit of $1800 and then an additional quarterly stipend of $375 to cover the costs of professional development, wellness, financial health, charitable giving, and remote work support.
- We provide a flexible environment with a generous vacation policy that encourages a minimum of four weeks PTO per year plus 13 paid company holidays.
Are you excited about this role but not sure if your experience aligns with every qualification in the job description? That’s okay. We know multiple perspectives are essential for a thriving organization and we'd still love to hear from you!
Posit is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.
Something looks off?