Senior Ground Systems Engineer
At Relativity Space, we have two audacious goals: to build the next great commercial launch company with Terran R and to become America's leading force in additive manufacturing innovation. Both contribute to our long-term vision of creating humanity’s industrial base on Mars, paving the way for interplanetary life to expand the possibilities of the human experience. This journey begins right here on Earth – where we design, build, and fly rockets to deliver customer payloads to orbit. Terran R, our medium-to-heavy lift reusable rocket, fulfills the growing demand for launch capacity, thanks to our iterative approach that accelerates design, testing, and development while minimizing costs. While our groundbreaking research and development in 3D printing pushes the boundaries of large-scale additive manufacturing.
Your journey with us is more than just a job – it’s an opportunity to shape the future of aerospace technology, additive manufacturing, and the human experience alongside a community of passionate, creative individuals. Join us on this extraordinary journey, as we work together to transform our vision into reality.
The Stennis team at Relativity Space is responsible for designing, building, and operating world-class test stands to support the Terran 1 and Terran R stages, engines, and propulsion components. As part of this team, you will help build and operate massive outdoor test stands at the historic Stennis Space Center on the Gulf Coast, the largest rocket engine test complex in the country. Unique to this location, you will have the opportunity to get hands-on the fully integrated engine and stage assemblies, push the hardware to the limits, and witness rocket engines firing up close and personal! This team is critical to the launch success of Terran 1, continued development of Terran R, and many other firsts! Check out this video to learn more about the Stennis test team.
What you’ll do:
As a Senior Ground Systems Engineer at Relativity, you will be responsible for design, fabrication, and modification of test stands for our Terran 1 and Terran R engines and stages. Engineers at our Stennis facility are engaged directly with construction and maintenance activities in the field, across a variety of hours to years-long project scales.
- Design advanced propulsion test stands, including 3D modeling, fluids and structural analysis, fabrication drawings, fluids P&IDs, component lists, and detailed work instructions
- Supervise the construction, commissioning, and initial operations of these facilities
- Solve a variety of technical problems, across broad ranges of timeframe, complexity, cost, and long-term impact
- Support operations on and perform related improvements to existing test stands
What you need to know:
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or a related field and minimum 5+ years of combined engineering experience is required.
- Prior experience in aerospace is not required
- Varied perspectives & backgrounds strengthen our team
- Ownership of propulsion or structural test related projects including design, analysis, construction, and commissioning from beginning to end
- Proficiency in 3D modeling and drafting, including GD&T
- Strong engineering fundamentals in thermal, structural, and fluids analysis
- Demonstrated drive to deliver on tight schedules, especially when unconventional & creative solutions are necessary
- Hands-on fabrication experience using common power tools for projects at work/home/school
- Working knowledge of fluid components such as valves, regulators, and instrumentation
- Experience designing, fabricating, and operating complex fluid systems
- Ability to work occasional night shifts
Nice to have but not required:
- You should still apply even if you don't have all of these!
- Experience with FEA or CFD
- Hands-on experience with metalworking, welding, hydraulics, manufacturing, etc.
- In depth knowledge of manufacturing processes, material selection, inspection, precision measurement, and non-destructive testing
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace