Senior Structures Test Engineer
A rocket company at the core, Relativity Space is on a mission to become the next great commercial launch company. Meeting the needs of a growing demand for space infrastructure, our rockets will revolutionize how we connect and communicate on Earth by getting satellites to space. We have developed a vertically integrated technology platform in which we leverage additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to 3D print rockets. Our unique approach enables rapid product iteration, allowing us to push the boundaries of what's possible today and unlock the full potential of 3D printing for tomorrow. Join us on this extraordinary journey, as we work together to transform our vision into reality.
The Factory Test team is responsible for providing a set of common test capabilities to all departments in the factory. These include the design and build of test equipment, administering our data collection system, reviewing designs and standards, and conducting hazardous test operations. Some examples of the tests we support include static load testing, dynamic mechanism testing, cryogenic flow testing, and pressurized testing. The Test Systems Engineer (Factory Test) will focus on the design of fluids & pressure test systems across the test facility and factory.
What you’ll do:
To support our mission of changing the way rockets are built and flown, you will be responsible for bringing structural test stands from design concept to full operational readiness. The scope of work encompasses a full design cycle, including conceptualization, design, analysis, fabrication, and operation. These test stands range from benchtop fixtures for actuator testing to multi-story steel towers for stage testing.
Here are some examples of projects you could be working on:
- Design and analysis of steel weldments capable of applying test loads to a variety of hardware
- Creating drawings and work instructions for the assembly of a brand new 3d printed part into a test stand
- Writing and executing test day procedures
- Supporting design and data reviews of flight structures
Your mission will be to complete these projects on time and budget. In order to achieve this, you will be working closely with our Additive, Design, Test, and Loads & Dynamics teams.
What you need to know:
- 5+ years of experience in a full cycle design engineering role and a Bachelor’s degree in related discipline
- Working knowledge of structural analysis and test (from hand calculations to advanced analysis)
- Fundamental knowledge of structures strength, stability and fatigue failure mechanisms
- Fundamental knowledge of additive and traditional manufacturing processes
Nice to haves but not required:
- Experience with NX/TeamCenter
- Experience using Nastran and ANSYS
- Demonstrated record of timely project completion
- Experience in time critical operations (test operations, launch operations, stage management, pit crews, etc.)
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace