Senior Manager, Robotics Software Engineering
A rocket company at the core, Relativity Space is on a mission to become the next great commercial launch company. Meeting the needs of a growing demand for space infrastructure, our rockets will revolutionize how we connect and communicate on Earth by getting satellites to space. We have developed a vertically integrated technology platform in which we leverage additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to 3D print rockets. Our unique approach enables rapid product iteration, allowing us to push the boundaries of what's possible today and unlock the full potential of 3D printing for tomorrow. Join us on this extraordinary journey, as we work together to transform our vision into reality.
The Technology Development Team is responsible for development advanced manufacturing technologies to enhance the industrial base. Our solutions range from novel welding processes, advanced robotics, and advanced simulation and prediction capabilities. We are seeking a Sr. Technical Program Manager to manage our growing portfolio programs at the intersection of hardware and software in our Stargate Platform.
What you’ll do:
- Lead a dedicated team of inventive engineers building a cohesive robotics platform to extend and refine architecture for a high-performance, real-time linux-based platform for robotics and industrial automation
- Provide strategic leadership and architect Real-Time software development leveraging deep kernel level expertise.
- Robotic Control Algorithms: Define requirements for scoping, selecting, and optimizing algorithms for sensor data processing, motion planning, trajectory generation, and closed-loop control to enable precise and efficient robotic movement and manipulation
- Integration and Testing: lead cross-functional teams including hardware engineers and system integrators to ensure seamless integration of software with hardware components. Establish thorough testing and validation of the software to guarantee system functionality and reliability
- Champion Safety: Safety is top of mind in all aspects of your work. You implement safety-critical software practices and configuration management while ensuring compliance with industry standards and regulations.
- Code Quality and Documentation: Maintain high-quality code standards by writing clean, maintainable, and well-documented code. Share knowledge through comprehensive documentation and technical presentations
- Technical Leadership: Provide technical guidance and mentorship to junior engineers and other stakeholder teams
- Team Development: Foster professional growth and development of team members through training, mentorship, and impedance matching engineers potential with targeted growth opportunities
What you need to know:
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Robotics, or other related field
- Strong leadership and project management skills with an established track record for developing and shipping two or more real-time systems to production
- 5+ years leading development teams in a direct managerial capacity, or cross-disciplinary teams in a program manager capacity
- Demonstrated experience with network fieldbus configuration (EtherCAT, profinet, CANbus, Ethernet/IP)
- Proficient in creating software for embedded environments in C and C++
- Expertise in Linux kernel customization, configuration, and optimization for real-time performance
- Proven ability to successfully conceptualize, architect and implement complex software solutions in a team environment
- Demonstrated experience leading teams through software integrations with hardware systems that may lack an API or library
- Familiarity with Robot Operating System (ROS2)
- Understanding of robotics kinematics, 3D transformations, quaternions and linear algebra
- Experience installing, configuring and using Linux in a complex network environment
- Knowledge of motion control concepts and experience setting up motor drives
- Experience integrating computer vision and sensors into an automation environment
Nice to haves but not required:
- Masters or Doctorate degree in relevant STEM field (Engineering, Computer Science, Physics
- 10+ years leading development teams in a direct managerial capacity
- Experience with industrial robot manipulators (KUKA, ABB, UR, etc)
- 2+ year’s experience developing in TwinCAT environment
- Understanding of TwinSAFE safety development
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead a small software development team
- Experience developing with Acontis EtherCAT library or similar
- Industry certification and/or experience with functional safety for machinery
- Experience with robotic weld systems
- Familiarity with integrating trained models into robotics controls
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace