Welding Engineer II, Technology Development
A rocket company at the core, Relativity Space is on a mission to become the next great commercial launch company. Meeting the needs of a growing demand for space infrastructure, our rockets will revolutionize how we connect and communicate on Earth by getting satellites to space. We have developed a vertically integrated technology platform in which we leverage additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to 3D print rockets. Our unique approach enables rapid product iteration, allowing us to push the boundaries of what's possible today and unlock the full potential of 3D printing for tomorrow. Join us on this extraordinary journey, as we work together to transform our vision into reality.
Relativity’s Technology Development team is seeking a highly talented Additive Welding Engineer to join a rapidly growing space startup. You will be a core contributor to our development team with a direct effect on how our additive technology operates. Your team will be responsible for inventing and innovating new additive deposition modalities, deposition processes, components, hardware and printed prototypes.
What you’ll do:
You have a strong hands-on and theoretical understanding of arc welding processes to guide other team members as well as produce your own products. Ideally, you will also have experience operating mechanized or robotic welding equipment. This role is extremely collaborative— you will be working with all teams from design, Robotics, Materials, NDE, and operations. Organizational, verbal and written communication skills are key. You will also be responsible in optimizing and automating our processes and come up with new and innovative ways to join materials.
What you need to know:
- B.S. in Welding Engineering
- 2+ years of experience demonstrating both hands-on welding and process development
- Demonstrated working knowledge of NDT evaluation, metallurgy, root-cause analysis, and design requirement definition.
- Deep practical and theory-based understanding of the GMAW process.
- Well versed material science understanding of various alloys.
- Diagnose weld process defects and suggest corrective actions, both in repair and optimization.
- Ability to consistently make timely decisions even in the face of complexity.
- Ability to cope with high demand environment where priorities change frequently, and multiple projects are being worked on at the same time.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills, including suggesting appropriate modifications to welding equipment to improve the process.
- Strong interdisciplinary communication skills
- Ability to collaborate with technicians and engineers to develop welding parameters that meet part requirements.
- Proven experience of leadership and mentoring
Nice to haves but not required:
- M.S. in Welding Engineering or related technical field
- Experience with arc additive processes
- Strong familiarity with industrial robotics and automation
- Experience with additive manufacturing software packages
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace