We invented a new approach to design, build, and fly our own rockets, starting with Terran 1 – the world’s first 3D printed rocket and Terran R our reusable next generation 3D printed rocket.
Using our vertically integrated technology platform, leveraging additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to deliver superiority over traditional aerospace manufacturing methods, we’re disrupting 60 years of aerospace with our novelty approach to get to space, Mars, and beyond faster, more cost-effective, and more reliable.
We believe in a future where interplanetary life fundamentally expands the possibilities for human experience. Our long-term vision is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Stennis team at Relativity Space is responsible for designing, building, and operating world-class test stands in support of Terran R propulsion components, engines, and integrated stages. As part of this team, you will help build and operate massive outdoor test stands at the historic Stennis Space Center on the Gulf Coast, the largest rocket engine test complex in the country. The scale of Relativity’s projects in Stennis are eclipsed only by the Apollo program 60 years ago! Unique to this location, you will have the opportunity to get hands-on the fully integrated engine and stage assemblies, push the hardware to the limits, develop all aspects of operations, and witness rocket engines firing up close and personal! This team is critical to the development of Terran R and will be a part of so many first milestones! Check out this video to learn more about the Stennis test team.
What you’ll do:
As a pipefitter on the Stennis team, you will be at the forefront of creating a world class test facility. In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who is able to operate in a fast-paced environment, having completed difficult projects while collaborating effectively across various technical groups. The ability to perform work at the highest quality with minimal direction is key.
On a day to day, your role will be to support welding and fabrication needs for test stand construction and maintenance activities. You will also be responsible for providing feedback and communication with the engineering and maintenance teams to prevent issues and help improve the reliability of test operations.
- Fabrication, installation, troubleshooting, and maintenance of fluid system piping
- Perform the installation and operational checkouts of test stand equipment and hardware
- Perform system level troubleshooting and maintenance of test stand equipment and hardware
- Build, checkout, and install a wide array of fluid system components
- Ensure that all engine test stand related equipment and services are performed safe and timely manner
- Proactively perform work according to procedures, specifications, and test instructions
- Disassemble and precision cleaning of valves, regulators, and other components
- Monitor and maintain an inventory of consumables, tooling, and equipment
What you need to know:
High school diploma or GED and at least five (5) years of experience in medium to heavy industrial build/maintenance, oil and gas industry, and/or Technical Certificate in welding related field. Below are skills needed for welders.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs unassisted
- Must be able to stand for extended periods
- Must be able to stoop, bend, crawl, and maneuver in tight spaces
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong mathematical ability
- Displays a high level of attention to detail
- This position will require occasional night shifts and possible travel
- Ability to operate heavy equipment and industrial warehouse equipment
- Ability to operate a wide range of hand and power tools for fabrication operations
- Demonstrate experience as a pipefitter (piping, tubing, and structural) by passing pipefitting tests
- Assemble components in various positions (vertical, horizontal, or overhead)
- Experience using a variety of welding equipment (TIG, MIG, etc.)
- Experience and ability to perform part layout and fit-up
- Ability to read and understand blueprints, technical documents, and/or engineering drawings
- Ability to determine the appropriate welding equipment needed to complete assigned work
- Knowledge of relative safety standards and willingness to use PPE
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team to meet aggressive schedules
- Ability to troubleshoot and make repairs to fluid systems and rotating equipment
- Ability to perform other tasks and duties as directed
Nice to haves but not required:
- Prior work experience in the aerospace industry
- Prior work experience in a fabrication shop and/or as a field erector
- Experience operating pressurized systems
- Experience with rigging, lifting and crane operations
- Experience as a welder
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace