Launch Design Engineer II
We invented a new approach to design, build, and fly our own rockets, starting with Terran 1 – the world’s first 3D printed rocket and Terran R our reusable next generation 3D printed rocket.
Using our vertically integrated technology platform, leveraging additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to deliver superiority over traditional aerospace manufacturing methods, we’re disrupting 60 years of aerospace with our novelty approach to get to space, Mars, and beyond faster, more cost-effective, and more reliable.
We believe in a future where interplanetary life fundamentally expands the possibilities for human experience. Our long-term vision is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Launch team at Relativity Space is where the rubber meets the road, a proving ground for technological advancements and an opportunity for “cradle-to-grave” project ownership. The Launch team is responsible for designing, building, and operating world-class launch facilities supporting Terran R integration, launch operation, and recovery at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station. This team is critical to the launch success of Terran R, among many other firsts!
You will work collaboratively with Launch fluids, mechanical, data and controls, civil, operations and other teams to model, analyze, and draft designs of Ground Support Equipment necessary to successfully launch and recover Terran R at Relativity’s site(s). A high degree of autonomy along with an ability to prioritize work in our fast-paced environment is required. We believe varied perspectives & backgrounds strengthen our team. Prior experience in aerospace is not required.
What you’ll do:
As a Launch Design Engineer, you will be at the forefront of creating a world class orbital launch site. Through your hands, concepts and functional requirements become executable engineering drawings and construction plans. You will consolidate inputs (P&IDS, system BoMs, operational and maintenance requirements, and human factors to name a few) from Responsible Engineers of various disciplines to author harmonious CAD (NX) assemblies enabling construction & procurement of sub-assemblies that fit to the bigger picture.
- Fluids routing and design trade studies
- Fluids hardware mounting structure design
- Author and maintain CAD models representing complex fluid, mechanical, and electrical systems
- Drafting of piping and supporting structural elements for fabrication or procurement
- Travel up to 25% supporting construction and activation projects at other Relativity sites as necessary
To be successful in this role, you must be self-motivated with exquisite attention to detail and able to lead projects to completion with limited direction. A high degree of drive and autonomy is required; ideally, you are someone who has come from a fast paced, aerospace environment, having completed difficult projects while collaborating effectively across various groups. You must be flexible to changes in strategic direction and willing to go the extra mile to ensure we as a company are producing the best possible product. You will be directly responsible for fluid system CAD models, construction planning and associated documentation. Along with these high expectations comes the opportunity to have a significant influence on a fast-growing startup company and to oversee rapid progress in an environment that encourages growth and risk.
What you need to know:
- 5+ years of professional experience designing process piping systems for fabrication and/or assembly per ASME B31, ASME B&PV Code Section VIII, AFSPCMAN 91-710 or other applicable standards using a high-end CAD software package (e.g. Siemens NX, CATIA, Solidworks, etc.)
- 3+ years of professional experience designing within Siemens NX
- Experience reading and interpreting Piping & Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs)
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity
Nice to haves but not required:
- Undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering or related field
- 7+ years’ experience designing within NX
- Hands on experience supporting field fabrication
- Demonstrated proficiency creating and modifying large assemblies (+5,000 parts)
- Deep understanding of various threaded, bolted, and welded process fluid connection types
- Demonstrated proficiency with NX Mechanical Routing, part families, and part qualification
- Demonstrated proficiency with NX1899 software or newer connected to Teamcenter (RAC or AWS)
- Demonstrated proficiency in ANSYS, Caesar II, Bentley Autopipe or similar stress analysis software
- Experience designing cryogenic or high pressure (6,000 psig) process piping
- Experience designing process piping for DOD, USAF, or NASA facilities
- Experience designing within the constraints of AFSPCMAN 91-710
- Experience designing to various standards (ASTM, ASME, NASA, DoD, NFPA, API, SAE, and AWWA)
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace