Lead Manufacturing Engineer, Bent and Welded Tube Assemblies
Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Manufacturing team at Relativity Space is currently deep in manufacturing trades and process development for Terran R, our next generation, fully re-useable rocket. This team has a wide variety of responsibilities—from determining the most efficient factory floor layout, to developing and implementing complex tooling and processes, and even interfacing with the vehicle engineering team to heavily influence the design of the rocket.
Overall, this team is critical to the development and initial builds of Terran R. To meet its goals, the team will drive products from design concept, through prototype and initial builds, through functional acceptance testing, and ensure successful integration onto the Terran R vehicle. The team will also establish the manufacturing and business practices and processes necessary to move fast while still producing high quality, well understood products.
What you’ll do:
The Tube Manufacturing team is responsible for working alongside the vehicle and propulsion design teams to develop hardware that enables Terran R reusability, working with a variety of processes to manufacture fluids systems of the vehicle. The team is looking for a Manufacturing Engineer to own the following scope: advocate for scalable manufacturing in product design trades and reviews, build flow planning, large-volume part logistics, tooling design, conceptualizing & sourcing, fast-paced issue dispositions, and complex mechanical assembly work planning and execution.
- Conceptualize, develop, and manufacture innovative, cutting-edge tube bending and welding cells capable of meeting the demanding needs for the Aeon R and Terran R programs. Drive the assembly’s first build and test effort through design integration, assembly sequencing, mBOM development, build and test work order creation, and specification authoring.
- Foster a culture of critical thinking and imaginative problem-solving, constantly challenging the established norms in engineering and manufacturing, and pushing the boundaries to achieve efficient production of high-pressure fluid transport systems within the designated timelines.
- Collaborate closely with a diverse team of engineers specializing in design, manufacturing, and reliability, as well as internal production teams and external vendors, leveraging their collective expertise to drive progress.
- Demonstrate ingenuity and autonomy by introducing groundbreaking ideas and implementing them with utmost attention to safety, quality, and reliability, ensuring timely completion of projects.
- Create innovative tooling solutions for both new and existing products, streamlining production to support increased output while reducing operational complexity.
- Establish and enforce standard practices, troubleshooting guides, and standardized repair procedures, with a key responsibility of reviewing and approving planning documents.
- Facilitate seamless day-to-day production of bent, OTW, and manually welded tubing, ensuring optimal efficiency and adherence to quality standards.
- Challenge existing production and design requirements for tubing assemblies, utilizing data-driven insights to identify and eliminate wasteful practices, further optimizing the manufacturing process.
- Streamline and optimize existing production systems, proactively identifying areas for cost reduction while enhancing overall quality and efficiency.
What you need to know:
To be successful in this role, you hold a relevant engineering degree and have 3+ years of related experience, ideally in an aerospace or automotive manufacturing environment. You have demonstrated experience working cross-functionally to build large scope first article assemblies, resolving complex manufacturing issues, and meeting production demand. The ideal candidate has a strong mindset toward simple design solutions, quality, root cause analysis, and implementation of reliable and productive processes. A self-starter who can balance and prioritize daily tasks that contribute to short- and long-term company goals.
- Bachelor of Science degree in aerospace, mechanical, or manufacturing engineering.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience building and testing hardware in a manufacturing environment.
- Extensive experience authoring work instructions and/or test procedures to build and checkout interdisciplinary mechanical and fluid assemblies.
- Experience interfacing with design engineering, manufacturing, and production personnel.
- Extensive experience managing large scope of ownership.
- Solid understanding of orbital tube welding (OTW), tube bending, TIG welding, metallic fabrication, assembly procedures, precision cleaning, and tooling design.
Nice to haves but not required:
- Self-starter that has demonstrated the ability to define and own a process from scratch and roll out that process through adept communication to a diverse team.
- New product introduction of an aerospace hardware system into a manufacturing, test, and production system with proven success
- Working knowledge of rocket subsystems including structures, mechanisms, and high pressure gas systems.
- Strong understanding GD&T and drafting principles.
- Working knowledge of typical manufacturing execution systems and quality management systems.
- Process development, factory layouts and production line planning.
- Experience in capacity analyses, DFMEA/PFMEA, value stream mapping.
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace
Something looks off?