Mechanical Engineer II
Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
At Relativity, we reimagine the way rockets are built and flown. Our team is responsible for testing every part produced by the world’s largest 3D metal printer. We are looking for a structures design engineer to join the team and help us prove that this technology is the future. You will play an integral part in designing, operating, and troubleshooting all of the test stands at our Long Beach manufacturing facility.
What you’ll do:
To support our mission of changing the way rockets are built and flown, you will be responsible for bringing structural test stands from design concept to full operational readiness. The scope of work encompasses a full design cycle, including conceptualization, design, analysis, fabrication, and operation. These test stands range from benchtop fixtures for actuator testing to multi-story steel towers for stage testing.
Here are some examples of projects you could be working on:
- Design and analysis of steel weldments capable of applying test loads to a variety of hardware
- Creating drawings and work instructions for the assembly of a brand new 3d printed part into a test stand
- Writing and executing test day procedures
- Supporting design and data reviews of flight structures
Your mission will be to complete these projects on time and budget. In order to achieve this, you will be working closely with our Additive, Design, Test, and Loads & Dynamics teams.
In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who enjoys hands-on work, thrives in ambiguity, and is able to lead their own projects into completion. Ideally, you are someone who has come from a fast paced, aerospace environment, having completed difficult projects while collaborating effectively with other key groups.
On a weekly basis, you will be designing components using NX/TeamCenter, performing analysis using Nastran, ANSYS and/or hand calculations, and conducting operations in the test yard. You will brainstorm new ways to accommodate the speed and flexibility of our additive manufacturing methods. You will also use your strong organizational skills to properly document your work and provide your recommendations in technical discussions.
What you need to know:
- 2+ years of experience in a full cycle design engineering role and a Bachelor’s degree in related discipline
- Working knowledge of structural analysis and test (from hand calculations to advanced analysis)
- Fundamental knowledge of structures strength, stability and fatigue failure mechanisms
- Fundamental knowledge of additive and traditional manufacturing processes
Nice to haves but not required:
- Experience with NX/TeamCenter
- Experience using Nastran and ANSYS
- Demonstrated record of timely project completion
- Experience in time critical operations (test operations, launch operations, stage management, pit crews, etc.)
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace
Something looks off?