Senior Structures Manufacturing Engineer
Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Manufacturing team at Relativity Space is currently deep in manufacturing trades and process development for Terran R, our next generation, fully re-useable rocket. This team has a wide variety of responsibilities—from determining the most efficient factory floor layout, to developing and implementing complex tooling and processes, and even interfacing with the vehicle engineering team to heavily influence the design of the rocket. Unique to Relativity, you will get to work across many teams to iterate and support Relativity's first-of-its-kind 3D printing software and robotics technology.
Overall, this team is critical to the development and initial builds of Terran R. This team pulls together the efforts of design, additive, vehicle, and manufacturing teams to deliver flight-ready vehicles for test and launch. To meet our goals, we will drive the product from design concept through the build to structural acceptance test, ensuring the team can move fast while still producing high quality, well understood products.
What you’ll do:
The Structures Manufacturing team is responsible for working alongside the vehicle design and additive teams to develop Terran R primary structures, while also leading the charge on mechanical assembly. We are looking for a Senior Manufacturing Engineer to own the following scope: primary structure design for manufacturing, build flow planning, large-scale part logistics, tooling design, conceptualizing & sourcing, fast-paced issue dispositions, trim/drill operations, joining/welding operations, and mechanical assembly planning and execution.
- Own a major primary structure assembly or process for Terran R, starting with conceptual design-for-manufacturing support and following the entire development process through to tooling design and procurement, process development, prototype builds, and initial production
- Support conceptual and detailed design of major tooling assemblies along side tooling engineering. Support procurement, commissioning, and initial trial builds, ensuring tooling is delivered on time and with the right capabilities
- Support the shop floor through live issue resolution and provide upstream feedback as we innovate the next generation of manufacturing technology
- Monitor large scale part movements and ensure safety as well as clear and concise direction
- Provide Design for Manufacturing feedback to both the additive and structures teams as the designs are generated and through the first builds upstream.
- Develop strong working relationships with both Engineering and Additive Development teams to ensure all company objectives can be met.
- Facilitate and perform the design and creation of primary assembly tooling that ensures exacting requirements are met across the vehicle
- Generate the build order, schedule, and come up with creative ways to stay on track.
- Generate work instructions, specifications, and best practices across multiple high-fidelity processes. Standardize processes across the manufacturing team. Participate in technician training initiatives in tandem with standardized processes
- Assist with building and developing the manufacturing team, via participation on interview panels and mentorship opportunities for interns and less experienced team members
What you need to know:
To be successful in this role, you hold a relevant engineering degree and have 5+ years of related experience, ideally in an aerospace or automotive manufacturing environment. You have demonstrated experience working cross-functionally to build large scope first article assemblies, resolve complex manufacturing issues, and meeting production demand. The ideal candidate has a strong mindset toward simple design solutions, quality, root cause analysis, and implementation of reliable and productive processes. You’re a tinkerer but also a self-starter who can balance and prioritize daily tasks that contribute to short and long term company goals.
- Bachelor of Science degree in aerospace, mechanical, or manufacturing engineering.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience building hardware in a manufacturing environment.
- Extensive experience authoring work instructions to build structural assemblies.
- Experience with design for manufacture and building a first article assembly.
- Experience interfacing with design engineering, manufacturing, and production personnel.
- Extensive experience managing large scope of ownership
- Experience designing tooling or owning tooling development as a manufacturing representative, particularly for welding (fusion and friction stir welding) and trim/drill operations
- Expert in at least 2 of the following: welding (fusion and friction stir welding), machining, trim and drill operations, mechanical fastening and torqueing operations, mating operations, lifting, tool design and fab, NDT, subassembly build, etc.
Nice to haves but not required:
- Self-starter that has demonstrated the ability to define and own a process from scratch and roll out that process through adept communication to a diverse team.
- New product introduction of an aerospace hardware system into a manufacturing, test, and production system with proven success.
- Experience developing user interfaces for manufacturing execution.
- Working knowledge of typical manufacturing execution systems and quality management systems.
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace
Something looks off?