Staff Product Designer
Calibrate is on a mission to change the way the world treats weight. We’re defining a new category in metabolic health that mirrors what the research shows—that weight reflects our biology, not our willpower. Our program was designed by world leaders in obesity and nutrition science to improve metabolic health and drive long-term weight loss that’s impactful, realistic, and sustainable.
Obesity is America’s underlying pandemic and largest category of chronic disease, and Calibrate is closing the gap in care for 175mm adults in a $600bn market where we spend millions of dollars each year and do not lose millions of pounds.
To bring Calibrate to everyone who needs it, we’re building the first value-based model in obesity treatment, aligning incentives for patients, providers, payors, and pharmaceutical companies. We’ve built a suite of products that combine medication with our proprietary intensive lifestyle intervention to deliver results that last.Calibrate launched in 2020 direct-to-consumer and has since expanded into enterprise channels to increase access to effective obesity treatment.
Calibrate’s programs bring decades of clinical research directly to consumers, immersing members in a biweekly 1:1 coaching program and curriculum that educates and encourages them to build enduring healthy habits across the four areas essential to lasting metabolic health: food, sleep, exercise, and emotional health. A purpose-built app enables daily tracking of food, energy levels, weight, and bi-weekly goals and helps members interact with their Coaching and Medical teams, while a members’ group and events calendar create additional opportunities to engage with the Calibrate community.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are seeking a hands-on, customer-obsessed, outcomes-oriented Staff Product Designer to lead the design of our digital experiences. The ideal candidate is as passionate about pixel perfect design and seamless user experiences as they are about solving complex challenges with elegant solutions. Reporting to our Head of Product, you'll be a lead designer responsible for design direction and execution on both our consumer-facing and internal user experience.
- Deliver a best-in-class user experience that is intuitive, engaging, and provides value for users while meeting business objectives
- Conduct lightweight generative and evaluative user research and testing to discover opportunities and determine design direction
- Develop a deep understanding of our users - both consumers and internal - and represent their voice to influence product strategy and solutions
- Leverage data and insights to influence design decisions
- Build procedures and processes to ensure that design output is consistent and timely, adhering to our standards for detail and quality
- Collaborate with product managers, engineers, other designers and stakeholders to define clear design objectives and requirements
- Grow the design team’s expertise, acquire best-in-class tools and resources, build, evolve and scale design processes and standards
- Foster an open and collaborative environment where all are comfortable expressing thoughts and and nurture the timely and ongoing flow of ideas
- Embrace ownership, humility, and curiosity—inspiring creativity at Calibrate, and constantly raising the bar for excellence
BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE
- Deep experience as a user experience designer, interaction designer, information architect, product designer or similar design-related role creating and building beautiful digital products at scale
- Expertise in the fundamentals of human-centered design and comprehensive knowledge of best practices in digital product design, UX/UI, and interaction design
- Direct experience overseeing the end to end design process, designing and shipping digital products, planning and developing design systems, and extending them to scale products in new and bold directions
- Strong portfolio of real-world solutions and case studies that demonstrate your role, process, and ability to deliver successful outcomes with a strong attention to detail and high bar for user experience and visual finesse
- Fluency in modern product design tools and methods (ex: Figma, Storybook, Jira, Journey Mapping, User Stories, Personas, Wireframing, Prototyping, Documentation, etc.)
- Detail-oriented with strong project management skills, able to manage multiple projects and people simultaneously
- An entrepreneurial mentality and a creative approach to problem-solving
- Bias for action with ability to think big and tackle complex problems, while thriving in a fast-paced, dynamic startup environment
- Nice To Have: Familiarity with health care or patient/provider experiences, or a passion for the industry
At Calibrate, we’re committed to our vision of putting our members and our teammates in control of their health. Some of our benefits for 2023 include:
- Competitive salary with opportunity for equity in an early stage, high growth business
- Generous paid time off, including an all-company holiday over Thanksgiving week
- Calibrate-funded health benefits (medical, dental, vision) - starting at zero cost to you
- Calibrate-paid disability and basic life insurance to give you peace of mind during unforeseen events
- Therapy on your time with free access to Headspace and Ginger
- An employee assistance program through Guardian to provide counseling across a range of personal topics
- Remote team with a headquarters in NYC
- Competitive Paid Parental Leave for parents
We’re in it together: We have an audacious mission, and we’re building a lot of things for the first time — from the first DTC pharma business within the healthcare ecosystem to the data infrastructure for providing real-world evidence in the largest category of chronic disease. It takes superpowers to build something simple and intuitive within the complex healthcare market, so we identify and work as a team from our individual points of strength. Not everyone has to be good at everything, but we know that when we harness what we’re each great at, we’re unstoppable.
Small wins create big wins: We ground every experience in optimism, recognizing and celebrating successes along the way. We break projects down into smaller components. And we focus on where we have momentum. We always plan for larger goals with the knowledge that our plans will evolve as we achieve smaller milestones.
You’re in control: While we’re headquartered in New York, we don’t let location stand in the way of the best talent — and from coaches to engineers, many of us are fully remote. Our business is multi-faceted, so each Calibrater is hired to be an expert in their piece of it — in control of their own initiatives, in control of their own impact, and in control of driving their own (real) results.
Real results matter: We’re obsessed with outcomes because when our members win, we win, and the data proves that we’ve built the best metabolic health program on the market. We’re purposeful, optimistic, and relentlessly confident that we can solve the biggest medical issue of the 21st century.
Calibrate is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, providing equal employment and advancement opportunities to all team members. To achieve our mission of changing the way the world treats weight, we are building an environment where every Calibrater can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do the best work of their careers. We value diversity and recruit, hire, and promote individuals solely based on talent, qualifications, competence, and merit. We evaluate candidates without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other protected characteristics as required by law and as a matter of our company values.