Product Designer II
Calibrate’s mission is to change the way the world treats weight. We’re defining a new category in metabolic health that mirrors what the research shows—that weight reflects our biology, not our willpower. Our program was designed by world leaders in obesity and nutrition science to improve metabolic health and drive long-term weight loss that’s impactful, realistic, and sustainable. Obesity is America’s underlying pandemic and largest category of chronic disease, and Calibrate is closing the gap in care for 175mm adults in a $600bn market where we spend millions of dollars each year and do not lose millions of pounds.
To bring Calibrate to everyone who needs it, we’re building the first telemedicine business within the healthcare ecosystem, aligning incentives for consumers, doctors, insurers, and pharmaceutical companies. We’ve built a proprietary Vertical Pharmacy Engine to connect our members to the most efficient path to insurance coverage, paving the way for a new model of chronic disease care.Calibrate’s first product, the One-Year Metabolic Reset, brings decades of clinical research directly to consumers through a virtual program combining FDA-approved prescription medication with intensive lifestyle intervention. The 52-week structured program includes biweekly 1:1 video coaching and curriculum that spans classes, recipes, workouts, and more. A purpose-built app enables daily tracking of food, energy level, weight, and bi-weekly goals and helps members interact with their Coaching and Medical teams, while a members’ group and events calendar create additional opportunities to tap into the Calibrate community.
Calibrate’s recently launched Masters Program keeps members engaged and supported in their metabolic health beyond their first year with the same evidence-based approach that defines Calibrate’s One-Year Metabolic Reset, at a lower cost. The result is a program that sustains and builds on members’ results with improved whole-body health that enables them to embrace a new day-to-day.
At Calibrate, we’re defining metabolic health as a new category, one that mirrors what the research shows—that weight reflects our biology, not our willpower. Our program was designed
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are seeking a collaborative, user-obsessed, outcomes-oriented Product Designer to help craft our digital experiences. The ideal candidate is as passionate about pixel perfect design and seamless user experiences as they are about unpacking complex challenges and solving for behavior change. In this role you will work closely with cross-functional teams to plan, architect, and bring our product and service vision to life.
- Deliver beautifully executed digital products—bringing strong conceptual thinking and elegant solutions across our end-to-end product experience
- Strive to understand our users' challenges and craft experiences that help people move through our program and engage with our products with ease and confidence.
- Craft products and features that are intuitive, engaging, beautiful to look at, and provide value for users while meeting business objectives
- Communicate effectively with product management, engineering, design, data and research teams to problem-solve, review, and iterate effectively throughout the design process
- Iterate and communicate ideas and solutions across various levels of fidelity (user flows and journeys, wireframes, design system exploration and iteration, prototypes, final states and annotations, etc.)
- Collaborate with designers, researchers, marketers, product managers and other stakeholders to understand and clarify product objectives
- Comfortably manage multiple projects efficiently and with appropriate prioritization and efficiency
- Contribute to an open and collaborative environment where all are comfortable expressing thoughts
- Embrace ownership, humility, and curiosity—inspiring creativity at Calibrate, and constantly raising the bar for excellence!
BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE
- 5+ years of industry experience as a user experience designer, interaction designer, information architect, product designer or similar design-related role creating and building beautiful digital products
- Expertise in the fundamentals of human-centered design and comprehensive knowledge of best practices in digital product design, UX/UI, and interaction design
- Experience designing for D2C digital experiences across both web, mobile web, and native mobile applications
- Strong portfolio of real-world solutions and case studies that demonstrate your role, process and ability to deliver successful outcomes, solve complex experience challenges and advocate for the user
- Fluency in modern product design tools and methods (ex: Figma, Jira, Confluence, Monday.com, React Native)
- Detail-oriented with strong time management skills, able to manage multiple projects
- Unafraid to ask questions and over-communicate with team members and stakeholders
- Bias for action with ability to think big and tackle complex problems, while thriving in a fast-paced, dynamic startup environment
- Big plus: Familiarity with health care or patient/provider experiences, or a passion for the industry
- A degree in Product Design, Interaction Design, HCI, or a related field or equivalent practical experience
ABOUT OUR TEAM
Calibrate launched Summer 2020, and in 18 months has raised $127.6mm in funding from leading healthcare and consumer investors, including Founders Fund, Tiger Global, Forerunner Ventures, Threshold Ventures, Optum Ventures, and Redesign Health. Our team helped build businesses at the intersection of technology, consumer, and healthcare, including Athenahealth, Capsule, Flatiron Health, Harry’s, One Medical, Galileo, PillPack, Rent the Runway, and more. Our Clinical Advisors include Donna Ryan, the past President of the World Obesity Federation, and Darriush Mozafarrian, cardiologist and Dean at the Tufts Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy.
Since launch, Calibrate has been recognized by the following publications and organizations for our mission to change the way the world treats weight:
- TIME’s 2022 Best Inventions
- Fast Company’s 2022 World Changing Ideas Awards
- The World Economic Forum’s 2021 TechPioneers
- NYC Health Business Leaders on the NYC Digital Health 100
Calibrate is committed to bringing together people from different backgrounds and perspectives to deliver real results for our members.
At Calibrate, we’re committed to our vision of putting our members and our teammates in control of their health. Some of our benefits for 2023 include:
- Competitive salary with opportunity for equity in an early stage, high growth business
- Generous paid time off, including an all-company holiday over Thanksgiving week
- Calibrate-funded health benefits (medical, dental, vision) - starting at zero cost to you
- Calibrate-paid disability and basic life insurance to give you peace of mind during unforeseen events
- Fertility, gynecology, and wellness support through Carrot Fertility
- Therapy on your time with free access to Headspace and Ginger
- An employee assistance program through Guardian to provide counseling across a range of personal topics
- Remote team with a headquarters in NYC
- Competitive Paid Parental Leave for parents
We’re in it together: We have an audacious mission, and we’re building a lot of things for the first time — from the first DTC pharma business within the healthcare ecosystem to the data infrastructure for providing real-world evidence in the largest category of chronic disease. It takes superpowers to build something simple and intuitive within the complex healthcare market, so we identify and work as a team from our individual points of strength. Not everyone has to be good at everything, but we know that when we harness what we’re each great at, we’re unstoppable.
Small wins create big wins: We ground every experience in optimism, recognizing and celebrating successes along the way. We break projects down into smaller components. And we focus on where we have momentum. We always plan for larger goals with the knowledge that our plans will evolve as we achieve smaller milestones.
You’re in control: While we’re headquartered in New York, we don’t let location stand in the way of the best talent — and from coaches to engineers, many of us are fully remote. Our business is multi-faceted, so each Calibrater is hired to be an expert in their piece of it — in control of their own initiatives, in control of their own impact, and in control of driving their own (real) results.
Real results matter: We’re obsessed with outcomes because when our members win, we win, and the data proves that we’ve built the best metabolic health program on the market. We’re purposeful, optimistic, and relentlessly confident that we can solve the biggest medical issue of the 21st century.
Calibrate is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, providing equal employment and advancement opportunities to all team members. To achieve our mission of changing the way the world treats weight, we are building an environment where every Calibrater can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do the best work of their careers. We value diversity and recruit, hire, and promote individuals solely based on talent, qualifications, competence, and merit. We evaluate candidates without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other protected characteristics as required by law and as a matter of our company values.
Something looks off?