Shoreditch, London, UK
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2024
PhysicsX is a deep-tech company of scientists and engineers, developing machine learning applications to massively accelerate physics simulations and enable a new frontier of optimization opportunities in design and engineering.
Born out of numerical physics and proven in Formula One, we help our customers radically improve their concepts and designs, transform their engineering processes and drive operational product performance. We do this in some of the most advanced and important industries of our time – including Space, Aerospace, Medical Devices, Additive Manufacturing, Electric Vehicles, Motorsport, and Renewables. Our work creates positive impact for society, be it by improving the design of artificial hearts, reducing CO2 emissions from aircraft and road vehicles, and increasing the performance of wind turbines.
We are a rapidly growing and profitable company but prefer to fly under the radar to protect our customers’ confidentiality. We are about to take the next leap in building out our technology platform and product offering. In this context, we are looking for a capable and enthusiastic simulation engineer to join our team. If all of this sounds exciting to you, we would love to talk (even if you don't tick all the boxes).
Note: We are currently recruiting for multiple positions, however please only apply for the role that best aligns with your skillset and career goals.
What you will do
- Work closely with our data scientists, machine learning engineers and clients to develop an understanding of the physics and engineering challenges we are solving
- Setup and build CFD & multi-physics models to simulate and understand complex real word phenomena
- Automate CFD & simulation pipelines to enable fast optimisation and parametric CAD coupling
- Ideally develop Python/Java based APIs and interfaces for external workflow integration
- Use on premise HPC and cloud resources to accelerate high fidelity models beyond smart model setup and meshing choices
- Own the delivery of technical workstreams
- Work at the intersection of CAE and data science, generating highly accurate results and predictions in conjunction with advanced machine & deep learning models
- Continuously apply and improve engineering best practices and standards and coach your colleagues in their adoption
What you bring to the table
- Enthusiasm about using computational fluid dynamics (CFD) and potentially other multi-physics numerical methods for science and engineering, plus ideally interest in data science and machine learning approaches
- Ability to scope and effectively deliver projects
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to analyse issues, identify causes, and recommend solutions quickly
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills - with teams and customers alike
- Degree in CFD, engineering, physics, computational science or equivalent
- 2-4 years’ experience in a CFD expert role, with exposure to:
- Operation of leading CFD platforms, especially STAR-CCM+, but also Fluent/CFX and OpenFoam
- Setup and solving of complex multi-physics problems
- Building CFD models from scratch, from geometry clean-up to post-processing
- Thorough knowledge of fluid dynamics and related physics
- Advanced skills in meshing, incl. mesh manipulation and adaptive/dynamic mesh techniques
- Workflow automation, parametric CAD and coupling with other software/code for CO-simulation and optimization
- Ideally advanced Python and Java coding stills
- Expertise in model correlation and real world validation
- Experience in HPC and cloud solving
What we offer
- Be part of something larger: Make an impact and meaningfully shape an early-stage company. Work on some of the most exciting and important topics there are. Do something you can be proud of
- Work with a fun group of colleagues that support you, challenge you and help you grow. We come from many different backgrounds, but what we have in common is the desire to operate at the very top of our fields and solve truly challenging problems in science and engineering. If you are similarly capable, caring and driven, you'll find yourself at home here
- Experience a truly flat hierarchy. Voicing your ideas is not only welcome but encouraged, especially when they challenge the status quo
- Work sustainably, striking the right balance between work and personal life. Be able to properly switch off in the evening and during weekends. What matters is the quality of our work
- Receive a competitive compensation and equity package, in addition to plenty of perks such as generous vacation and parental leave, complimentary office food, as well as fun outings and events
- Work in a flexible setting, with your choice of either our lovely London Shoreditch or Bicester Heritage offices to collaborate in, and a good proportion from home if so desired. Get the opportunity to occasionally visit our customers' engineering sites and experience first-hand how our work is transforming their ways of working
- Use first-class equipment for working in-office or remotely, including HPC
We value diversity and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, religion, ethnicity, nationality, disability, age, sexual orientation or gender identity. We strongly encourage individuals from groups traditionally underrepresented in tech to apply. To help make a change, we sponsor bright women from disadvantaged backgrounds through their university degrees in science and mathematics.