Managing Senior Counsel, Litigation
Hi, we're Oscar. We're hiring a Managing Senior Counsel, Litigation to join our Corporate Legal team.
Oscar is the first health insurance company built around a full stack technology platform and a focus on serving our members. We started Oscar in 2012 to create the kind of health insurance company we would want for ourselves—one that behaves like a doctor in the family.
About the role
Oscar’s Managing Senior Counsel, Litigation is an important member of the Legal team responsible for driving and building on our litigation strategy and managing a team of litigators to address Oscar’s litigation portfolio.
You will report to the SVP, Corporate Counsel.
Oscar is a blended work culture where everyone, regardless of work type or location, feels connected to their teammates, our culture and our mission.
If you live within commutable distance to our New York City office ( in Hudson Square), our Tempe office (off the 101 at University Ave), or our Los Angeles office (in Marina Del Rey), you will be expected to come into the office at least two days each week. Otherwise, this is a remote / work-from-home role.
You must reside in one of the following states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, or Washington, D.C. Note, this list of states is subject to change. #LI-Remote
The base pay for this role in the states of California, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, and Washington is: $228,000 - $276,000 per year. The base pay for this role in all other locations is: $205,200 - $248,400 per year. You are also eligible for employee benefits, participation in Oscar’s unlimited vacation program, company equity grants and annual performance bonuses.
- Work with main partners on a cohesive and comprehensive litigation strategy that aligns with our strategic objectives
- Execute on the organization’s litigation strategy and ensure that a variety of complex litigation matters are managed
- Manage a team of litigation professionals, and ensure the team is staffed and resourced to manage our litigation portfolio
- Engage to ensure we have the processes and operations to respond to and defend against litigation matters and to minimize litigation in the future
- Develop a comprehensive budget for litigation matters, and manage a panel of outside counsel
- Develop and maintain metrics which demonstrate trends on the organizations’ litigation portfolio
- Lead counsel for us’s high profile and material litigation matters
- Lead the development and improvement of litigation processes
- Compliance with all applicable laws and regulations
- Other duties as assigned
- Attorney in good standing with J.D. from an ABA accredited law school and at least 10 years of relevant experience at a top tier law firm and/or in-house
- Experience working in the health insurance industry for at least 7 years and understanding of payer-provider disputes
- Experience managing a complex litigation portfolio in-house at another organization for at least 7 years
- Experience litigating a variety of complex disputes on both plaintiff and defendant side for at least 10 years
- Understanding of end-to-end litigation process, legal research, eDiscovery, and contract drafting and interpretation
- Litigation experience in Florida, California, Texas, and/or New York jurisdictions
- Experience with startups for at least 2 years
This is an authentic Oscar Health job opportunity. Learn more about how you can safeguard yourself from recruitment fraud here.
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds and perspectives..
Final offer amounts, within the base pay set forth above, are determined by factors including your relevant skills, education, and experience.
Full-time employees are eligible for benefits including: medical, dental, and vision benefits, 11 paid holidays, paid sick time, paid parental leave, 401(k) plan participation, life and disability insurance, and paid wellness time and reimbursements.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.