Oportun (Nasdaq: OPRT) is a digital banking platform that puts its 1.9 million members' financial goals within reach. With intelligent borrowing, savings, budgeting, and spending capabilities, Oportun empowers members with the confidence to build a better financial future. Since inception, Oportun has provided more than $15.5 billion in responsible and affordable credit, saved its members more than $2.3 billion in interest and fees, and helped our members save an average of more than $1,800 annually. For more information, visit Oportun.com.
WORKING AT OPORTUN
Working at Oportun means enjoying a differentiated experience of being part of a team that fosters a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture where we all feel a sense of belonging and are encouraged to share our perspectives. This inclusive culture is directly connected to our organization's performance and ability to fulfill our mission of delivering affordable credit to those left out of the financial mainstream. We celebrate and nurture our inclusive culture through our employee resource groups.
Engineering Business Unit Overview:
The charter for Engineering group at Oportun is to be the world-class engineering force behind our innovative products. The group plays a vital role in designing, developing, and maintaining cutting-edge software solutions that power our mission and advance) our business. We strike a balance between leveraging leading tools and developing in-house solutions to create member experiences that empower their financial independence.
The talented engineers in this group are dedicated to delivering and maintaining performant, elegant, and intuitive systems to our business partners and retail members. Our platform combines service-oriented platform features with sophisticated user experience and is enabled through a best-in-class (and fun to use!) automated development infrastructure. We prove that FinTech is more fun, more challenging, and in our case, more rewarding as we build technology that changes our members’ lives.
Engineering at Oportun is responsible for high quality and scalable technical execution to achieve business goals and product vision. They ensure business continuity to members by effectively managing systems and services - overseeing technical architectures and system health. In addition, they are responsible for identifying and executing on the technical roadmap that enables product vision as well as fosters member & business growth in a scalable and efficient manner.
The Enterprise Data and Technology (EDT) pillar within the Engineering Business Unit focusses on enabling wide use of corporate data assets whilst ensuring quality, availability, and security across the data landscape.
As a Data Engineer at Oportun, you will be a key member of our EDT team, responsible for designing, developing, and maintaining sophisticated software / data platforms in achieving the charter of the engineering group. Your mastery of a technical domain enables you to take up business problems and solve them with a technical solution. With your depth of expertise and leadership abilities, you will actively contribute to architectural decisions, mentor junior engineers, and collaborate closely with cross-functional teams to deliver high-quality, scalable software solutions that advance our impact in the market. This is a role where you will have the opportunity to take up responsibility in leading the technology effort – from technical requirements gathering to final successful delivery of the product - for large initiatives (cross-functional and multi-month-long projects).
- You collaborate with cross-functional teams, including product managers, designers, and other engineers, to understand business requirements and translate them into efficient and scalable software solutions.
- You design, develop, test, deploy, support, and maintain high-quality software applications using industry best practices and modern technologies. You own issues, including initial troubleshooting, identification of root cause and issue resolution/escalation. (Alternatively, to address verbosity, this can be replaced with “You own your code end-to-end.”, but it may not be explicitly clear.)
- You write clean and maintainable code that adheres to industry coding standards and contributes to the overall stability of our systems. You participate in code reviews and provide constructive feedback to team members to ensure code quality and promote knowledge sharing.
- You proactively find and address technical debt, inefficient practices/tools and performance bottlenecks and bugs, continuously improving the reliability and performance of our software through building observability and other features to help trouble-shoot/triage issues.
- You demonstrate proficient usage of tools, techniques, and architecture/coding patterns. You have demonstrated you are able to understand trade-offs of various architectural and design choices. Your solutions are focused on solving the needs of your customer.
- You stay up to date with emerging technologies and industry trends, and proactively propose and implement innovative solutions to enhance our products and services through continuous evolution and refinement of current tools and applications.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Data Science, or a related field.
- 3+ years of proven experience as a Data Engineer or in a similar role.
- Strong proficiency in programming languages like Python, PySpark or Scala.
- Expertise in working with big data technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, and Kafka.
- Proficiency in SQL and experience with database technologies (e.g., PostgreSQL, MySQL, NoSQL databases).
- Familiarity with cloud platforms (e.g., AWS, Azure, GCP, Databricks) and their data services (e.g., AWS Redshift, S3, Azure SQL Data Warehouse).
- Versioning tools like bitbucket, github, and gitlab.
- Knowledge of data warehousing concepts, data modeling, and data pipelines processes.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Strong communication and collaboration abilities.
- Knowledge of FinTech (good to have).
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and consider all qualified applicants for employment opportunities without regard to race, age, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other category protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
California applicants can find a copy of Oportun's CCPA Notice here: https://oportun.com/privacy/california-privacy-notice/.
We will never request personal identifiable information (bank, credit card, etc.) before you are hired. We do not charge you for pre-employment fees such as background checks, training, or equipment. If you think you have been a victim of fraud by someone posing as us, please report your experience to the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3).